• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Health campaigners say rise in private surgery undermines services at Brighton hospital

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 3 Jul, 2019 at 1:24PM
A A
2
Health campaigners say rise in private surgery undermines services at Brighton hospital

A rise in the number of private knee and hip replacement operations is undermining the future of services at Brighton and Hove’s NHS hospital trust, health campaigners said today (Wednesday 3 July).

Members of Sussex Defend the NHS cited an analysis of NHS-funded surgery by Brighton and Hove health chiefs.

It showed that the number of NHS patients from Brighton and Hove opting for private knee and hip operations more than doubled from 179 to 395 a year in the five years to 2017-18.

The increase of 216 was matched by a similar fall – of 219 – in the number of local patients having knee and hip operations carried out by the NHS. The number went down from 527 to 308.

The analysis by health chiefs said that the rise in private surgery “has had an adverse impact on the criticial mass of the service” within Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals (BSUH).

BSUH is the NHS trust that runs the Royal Sussex County Hospital, in Brighton, as well as the Princess Royal Hospital, in Haywards Heath.

The analysis also said that the falling number of NHS knee and hip operations had “a potential impact on the sustainability of the service and BSUH as a major trauma centre”.

Three members of Sussex Defend the NHS asked about the impact of the trend from NHS to private surgery when they quizzed health chiefs from the Brighton and Hove Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG).

At the Brighthelm Centre, one of the campaigners, Carolyn Pickering, asked what “impact assessment” led to a decision last year to increase the number of patients having their surgery with BSUH.

She was told: “There was no formal assessment process but a joint recognition that … there had been a shift of elective orthopaedic activity from BSUH to the independent sector.”

The CCG added that there had also been “a small but significant reduction in elective activity as conservative treatment uptake has increased”.

This can include, for example, patients opting for physiotherapy rather than a hip or knee replacement.

In 2016-17 some 774 patients from Brighton and Hove had knee and hip surgery, with the number falling to 703 – the lowest number for five years – in 2017-18.

But effects of the overall trend had caused concern. The CCG said: “The impact of this is loss of income to BSUH but it has also impacted on their ability to train junior staff and also potentially, if a longer-term trend, could affect the sustainability of the service with a knock-on effect on its major trauma centre status.”

The surgery is currently carried out as part of a contract for “musculoskeletal” – or MSK – services.

A five-year £210 million contract covers patients in areas served by CCGs for Brighton and Hove, Horsham and Mid Sussex and Crawley.

The contract – with the Sussex MSK Partnership – was due to end in September. Earlier this year it was extended for a further two years.

The partnership is led by Here – formerly known as the Brighton and Hove Integrated Care Service (BICS). It includes Horder Healthcare, the Sussex Community NHS Foundation Trust and Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust.

In a formal paper outlining its commissioning intentions for the past financial year (2018-19), the Brighton and Hove CCG said: “As a CCG, we need to develop the future commission and delivery model for MSK services.

“The project will focus on the following outcomes

  • To evaluate the current service model and develop an appraisal of options for future service delivery
  • To develop a commissioning model for MSK services
  • To reduce acute MSK related activity through the use of pathways with a high clinical value
  • To deliver savings by supporting clinically appropriate decision-making”

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Sammy says:
    7 years ago

    The more people who used private services the better… takes the pressure of the NHS.

    Reply
    • al says:
      7 years ago

      THIS IS INCORRECT, please reconsider that view. using private services diverts funds away from the NHS, increasing pressure and undermining this precious service while putting money in the pockets of private companies.
      please see these websites for up to date information that will explain it all and give ways of getting involved to help save the NHS xxx https://weownit.org.uk/public-ownership/nhs http://defendthenhssussex.weebly.com/ https://www.healthcampaignstogether.com/ https://keepournhspublic.com/

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Café can become gym after plans approved

School building to become temporary charity hub

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Health campaigners say rise in private surgery undermines services at Brighton hospital

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Drinks licence granted for site just south of St Peter’s Church

Hove man given ‘slavery and trafficking risk order’

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
July 2019
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News