• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Labour picks Brighton for 2015 conference shortly after booking next year

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 7 Feb, 2012 at 9:52PM
A A
0

The Labour Party has booked the Brighton Centre for its annual conference for a second time in a matter of weeks.

The party will hold its conference in Brighton in 2015, having announced less than a fortnight ago that it would be here in 2013.

It had been due to meet in Bournemouth for both conferences.

The news was announced this afternoon (Tuesday 7 February) by Geoffrey Bowden, the Brighton and Hove City Council cabinet member for culture, recreation and tourism.

Councillor Bowden told colleagues at a meeting at Hove Town Hall that the booking was a vote of confidence in the newly refurbished Brighton Centre.

The venue had recently reopened after a £1 million refurbishment. It had more efficient lighting and water systems which would save at least £70,000 a year.

Councillor Geoffrey Bowden

He said that both conferences would attract about 8,000 delegates and visitors and they would each generate about £20 million for hotels, restaurants and the local economy.

He said that the two Labour conferences would follow the Liberal Democrat conference in September this year.

And that the TUC and Unison bookings were among the other big money-spinners for the city in the current year.

He added that bookings had been received as far ahead as 2024.

At the same meeting he approved a new arrangement with the Visit Brighton convention bureau which represents 14 conference partners.

They include the Brighton Centre and the Dome as well as hotels such as the Grand, Metropole, Thistle, Seattle and Holiday Inn.

Nine of the venues were paying a flat fee of £2,200 a year to be represented by Visit Brighton.

The other five were paying commission of 10 per cent to Visit Brighton on all venue hire and food and drink spending generated through the arrangement.

All of the hotel partners paid 10 per cent commission on bedroom bookings.

Rival organisations in other resorts charged commission to all their partners and this, Councillor Bowden accepted, would be fairer in Brighton and Hove.

In the year to last March the current arrangements generated about £20,000 for Visit Brighton. The new arrangements, which take effect from Sunday 1 April, would bring in an estimated £60,000 to £70,000 a year from 2013-14 onwards.

A report presented at the meeting said that Visit Brighton currently brought in business worth £60 million to the local economy which supported jobs and businesses.

Last month the council said that 28 major conferences and events booked for this year were expected to attract 30,000 delegates and earn the city £45 million.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

School building to become temporary charity hub

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Labour picks Brighton for 2015 conference shortly after booking next year

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Café can become gym after plans approved

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
February 2012
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News