• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Hove burglar missing from Ford Prison

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 19 Jun, 2014 at 6:17AM
A A
0

A man jailed for burgling a home in Hove has absconded from Ford Prison in West Sussex.

Craig Hayler, 30, is one of dozens of inmates missing from the open prison and among the most recent to go on the run.

Sussex Police said that it had “decided to proactively publish the names and crimes of those who have absconded from the prison whose convictions were for violent offences”.

The force said: “Three of the men were jailed for murder and the others were jailed for violence or robbery.”

It published details on its website www.sussex.police.uk of eight of those who have disappeared from the prison.

Hayler absconded from Ford on Monday 10 March. He was jailed for 30 months in December 2012 for breaking into a property in Poplar Avenue in Hove.

Craig Hayler
Craig Hayler

Sussex Police said: “Hayler has a series of convictions for burglary, theft and fraud offences.”

He was previously described as white with olive or tanned skin, 5ft 10in tall and of muscular build, with short brown hair and designer facial stubble.

Superintendent Lawrence Hobbs said: “We have assessed the cases of each and every prisoner who is currently wanted after absconding from Ford Prison and decided these men need our attention the most, considering how likely they could be to commit more crimes.

“We have no evidence that any of these men are a danger to the public but because of the offences they have previously committed we cannot rule it out.

“We need the public’s help to track each and every one of them down and return them to custody.

“Some of the men may have absconded a number of years ago and may not have broken the law since then but justice has not been done in any of their cases as they still need to complete the sentences they were originally given.

“If you have any information at all about where they could be, please contact us.”

Sussex Police said: “The Ministry of Justice determines which prisoners should be sent to Ford.”

One prisoner on the run, Timothy O’Leary, 59, was jailed for life for the murder of a fellow traveller in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, in September 1981.

O’Leary, who also uses the name Timothy McCarthy, absconded from Ford Prison 17 years ago – in March 1997.

Another absconder Christopher Street, 62, walked out of Ford more than 12 years ago – in November 2001.

He was jailed for seven years at Croydon Crown Court in August 1999 after being convicted of conspiracy to rob and firearms offences. He already had convictions for burglary and firearms offences.

Anyone with information about any of the men is asked to phone Sussex Police on 101, email 101@sussex.pnn.police.uk or call the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Hove burglar missing from Ford Prison

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
June 2014
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News