• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton and Hove bin strikes called off for more talks

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 24 Sep, 2014 at 3:13PM
A A
1
Brighton and Hove bin strikes called off for more talks

Marie Kelly took this picture of rubbish piling up on the streets of Brighton and Hove

Tomorrow’s bin strike has been called off to allow more time for the council to come up with proposals.

Marie Kelly took this picture of rubbish piling up on the streets of Brighton and Hove
Marie Kelly took this picture of rubbish piling up on the streets of Brighton and Hove

The GMB today agreed to suspend action today and next Tuesday for more talks about the on-going dispute over drivers’ allowances and responsibilities after meeting with the council this morning.

The union says there is now a clear timetable for ongoing discussions and as a result it is suspending the next two days of strike action – but a third day of action on Friday, 3 October remains in place, as does the ongoing work to rule.

Mark Turner, GMB Branch Secretary, said: “Finally the first steps to our hopefully seeking a resolution to this long standing issue has happened, even though it’s only a commitment from council officers to our repeated requests for a clear timetable and scope for discussions it will if adhered to provide the basis for all sides sitting down and meaningfully seeking to resolve the issues once and for all.

“As a result of this step by the council our members have immediately responded by scaling back industrial action as a gesture of good faith, whilst the council go about producing those documents and proposals. So strike action for both the 25 and 30 September is suspended.

“The onus is very much on the council to come back by next week, with clear proposals, focus and commitment to working with unions and staff to resolve the issues, until they do the third day of action on Friday 3 October will and has to remain in place along with the continuation of the drivers working to rule.

“A positive approach by the council to talks will always be met equally with the same response by GMB members going forward and will enable us to lift the continuing threat of industrial action of any form going forward.”

Geoff Raw. the council’s executive director for environment, development and housing said: “I’m pleased that strike action has been suspended. We are continuing discussions with the GMB union and looking at a full service redesign to ensure we meet the needs of the city and to resolve work to rule.

“I’m sorry for the disruption the industrial action has caused, we cannot favour one group of workers over another and increasing allowances for one group of staff would require us to increase it for many others at great cost to the council’s overall pay bill.  The agreement we reached with our trade unions and staff last year was to better ensure we were equal pay compliant.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Johanna says:
    12 years ago

    Come on Brighton & Hove Council, sort this out. It’s an embarrassment the streets of Brighton smell awful and there is piled up rubbish everywhere, I have never seen anything like it elsewhere in the entire country. As a Brighton resident I haven’t had a refuse collection in nearly 4 weeks, it’s totally unacceptable, there are rats running up and down street, flys buzzing around. Imagine is residents said we won’t pay our council tax for 4 weeks. It is a disgrace!

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton and Hove bin strikes called off for more talks

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Lewes line to reopen next month

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
September 2014
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News