Brighton firefighters tackle chimney blaze

Posted On 28 Dec 2014 at 4:36 pm

Firefighters tackled a chimney fire in Brighton on Boxing Day – one of three in the wider area on the same day.

They were called out to the fire in Havelock Road shortly before 1pm and used a specialist chimney kit to put out the blaze.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said afterwards that it was important for people to have their chimneys swept, especially as temperatures dropped.

The fire service also said that people should follow other simple safety measures such as using a fire guard to protect property from flying sparks from hot embers.

It added: “Ensure the fire is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house. Ensure good quality fuel is used. Never interrupt the air supply by blocking air vents or air bricks.”

Early yesterday (Saturday 27 December) crews were sent to deal with an early morning kitchen fire in Clifton Road, Brighton.

The alarm was raised shortly after midnight.

The fire service said: “Two fire engines and the aerial ladder platform attended an address in Clifton Road.

“Crews used breathing apparatus and CO2 to tackle the fire which was in a flat.

“The cooker and surrounding area was damaged by smoke and heat.

“There are no reports of injuries.”

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.