• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

‘Free education’ protesters march through Brighton

by Frank le Duc
Saturday 31 Jan, 2015 at 6:32PM
A A
0
‘Free education’ protesters march through Brighton

Scores of protesters took to the streets of Brighton this afternoon (Saturday 31 January) to campaign against tuition fees.

Sussex Police said that it led to minor disruption but no disorder.

The force said: “The organisers of the Brighton March for Free Education failed to engage with Sussex Police about their plans for the day despite officers making attempts to speak to them in advance.

“Officers were on duty to keep disruption to a minimum and organised rolling roadblocks as the crowd of about 150 people moved from The Level at 2pm through streets in the city centre.”

During a previous march, some protesters invaded Topshop. Today officers and security guards were stationed close to the entrances to Churchill Square and by other possible targets.

Chief Inspector Katy Woolford, who was in charge of the police operation today, said: “Residents and visitors may have seen more police officers on the streets as we were determined to ensure the public was kept safe during the protest.

“Unfortunately the organisers of the march failed to speak to us before the event despite our attempts to contact them which meant we could not be sure what their plans for the day involved.

“We had spoken to many businesses in the days before the march about the possibility that the protesters might try to get into their buildings to cause disruption and I would like to thank them for their assistance.

“Some of those businesses used extra security staff who were ready to tell protesters to leave if it had been necessary.

“I would particularly like to thank the public for their patience. Unfortunately some did face delays because we had to close some roads briefly as the protesters marched in the carriageway, at times against the flow of traffic.

“Thankfully no one was injured and most of the extra officers who had been drafted in were able to be stood down before 4.30pm. No arrests were made.”

#freeeducation march in Brighton pic.twitter.com/iDp2W03Iwy

— Red Angus (@redangus1381) January 31, 2015

Traffic disruption in #Brighton city centre caused by an ongoing protest march that has blocked the #A23 at Grand Parade. Expect delays.

— SusPolPLT (@SusPolPLO) January 31, 2015

There are rolling road closures in #Brighton city centre as the march heads past the Clock Tower. You should expect more queues than usual.

— SusPolPLT (@SusPolPLO) January 31, 2015

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

‘Free education’ protesters march through Brighton

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters urge people to avoid dangerous aerosol trend

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Load More
January 2015
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News