• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

More millions for Saltdean Lido

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 25 Feb, 2015 at 1:11PM
A A
0
Saltdean Lido to reopen next summer

Saltdean Lido - Picture by Deryck Chester

Saltdean Lido is to get another £4.7million to help restore and reopen to the public.

The Heritage Lottery Fund this week announced it was giving the grant to the Saltdean Lido Community Interest Company (CIC) for repairs to the 1938 Grade II* listed lido.

Saltdean Lido - Picture by Deryck Chester
Saltdean Lido – Picture by Deryck Chester

The CIC plans to use the money, along with a £2.5million grant from the Coastal Communities Fund and other funding, to transform the site into a modern leisure destination providing the local community with a heated outdoor pool, indoor and outdoor play areas, café, gym, community and function rooms, and a revived library.

However, there is still another £2 million to raise to fund the project and so the CIC will be issuing a Community Share Scheme similar to that undertaken by Hastings Pier last year which raised £600,000.

Comprising an iconic Art-Deco building and three pools, it was created to elevate Saltdean’s status as a fashionable resort in the competitive 1930s British holiday market.

After just three successful seasons it closed in summer of 1940 and didn’t reopen to the public again until 1964.

During the Second World War the National Fire Service used the pool as a water tank and its ground for training.

The onset of war halted Saltdean’s development and so in the years after, the Lido’s changing rooms were sanctified and used for church services and a Sunday school.

With the exception of the council run local library and a number of small-scale commercial activities in a 1960s extension, the site has been vacant since 2011 and is currently on English Heritage’s At Risk Register.

The closure of the lido and its sister building, the Ocean Hotel has had a negative impact on the economic health of Saltdean. The revitalization of the lido will act as a catalyst to regenerate the area.

This money has been awarded through HLF’s Heritage Enterprise programme. It is designed to help when the cost of repairing an historic building is so high that restoration simply is not commercially viable. Grants of £100k to £5million bridge the financial gap, funding the vital repairs and conservation work needed to convert derelict, vacant buildings like those at Saltdean Lido, into new, usable commercial spaces that can have a positive impact on local economies.

Rebecca Crook, chair of Saltdean Lido CIC, said “The backing of HLF has always been central to the success of our project and we are delighted that all our hard work is coming to fruition. The Saltdean Lido CIC will be creating new jobs and bringing new revenue and much needed investment to the area. However, there are many challenges for community groups such as ours who are bringing heritage buildings back into use.”

Ben Greener, HLF’s Historic Environment Advisor, said “When it was built, Saltdean Lido was the beating heart of a successful seaside resort. Sadly, as the lido declined, so did Saltdean. Yet local people never forgot how important this heritage icon was to their town. Now, through Heritage Enterprise, the Heritage Lottery Fund is enabling the community to find a sustainable solution for this precious local landmark, signalling Saltdean’s return to prosperity whilst saving one of the most significant lidos in the UK.”

The freehold of Saltdean Lido is owned by Brighton and Hove Council. In 2010, local residents united to initiate a campaign to save the lido and stop the proposed residential development by the then leaseholder.

After a successful community-led campaign which attracted support from around the globe, at the end of 2013 Saltdean Lido CIC was named as the preferred leaseholder and started a major fundraising programme with a target of £10 million.

HLF has agreed to give the group £576,000 in development funding with a view to granting the full £4.2 million at a later stage to fund the refurbishment of the building.

In January, £2.5 million was also secured from The Coastal Communities Fund and in 2014 £490,000 from the Social Investment Bank to refurbish the outside grounds and pools. The CIC also won the Peoples Millions competition last year with £49,500 pledged for the paddling pool.

Simon Kirby, Member of Parliament for Saltdean, said: “This £4.7 million from the Heritage Lottery Fund is fantastic news. As a long-time supporter of the Lido campaign I am delighted that we have taken another huge step forward. Huge credit must go to the Community Interest Company who I know have worked so tirelessly to achieve this excellent result.”

Rebecca Crook, chair of the CIC, added: “There have been thousands of volunteer hours put into this project to make this a reality and there will be thousands more to deliver and get the site fully open. However it’s a great example of how a local community can come together to achieve great things despite obstacles and huge challenges.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

More millions for Saltdean Lido

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
February 2015
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
232425262728  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News