• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Hundreds of commuters stuck on trains for up to three hours after catalogue of Brighton mainline faults

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 18 Jan, 2016 at 8:16AM
A A
1
Hundreds of commuters stuck on trains for up to three hours after catalogue of Brighton mainline faults

Clayton Tunnel by Paul on Flickr

UPDATE: A catalogue of faults on the Brighton mainline this morning has all but shut down the line, with some commuters still stuck on trains at 9.20 which they boarded almost three hours ago.

The first fault at the Clayton tunnel, a broken cable, saw trains sent back to Brighton and re-routed through Lewes.

But subsequent signal failures between Preston Park and Hassocks then another at Balcombe have plunged the route into chaos, with six trains stuck at Balcombe Tunnel shortly after 9am.

Clayton Tunnel by Paul on Flickr
Clayton Tunnel by Paul on Flickr

The problems started at about 6.45am this morning, with the 6.37 from Brighton to London Victoria sent back to the station as it reached the Clayton Tunnel and re-routed via Lewes.

As of 9.15am, that train had made it no further than Three Bridges, and another, the 6.46am Brighton to London Victoria, still in south London.

A passenger on the 6.46am train, David Davis, said: “There was a very distressed lady in a wheelchair trapped on our delayed train, and no staff to assist.

“Even the toilet on our train has broken down now. Slow motion disintegration!”

Another on the 6.37am said: “It’s 9.40am, and we’ve only just reached East Croydon. I’m going to be at least two hours late for work.

“Everyone in the carriage looks like they’ve resigned themselves to it – it’s a joke, but that’s what you expect with the trains these days.”

The Southern website says: “A signalling problem between Hassocks and Preston Park and also at Balcombe is causing delays of up to 45 minutes to trains between Three Bridges and Brighton/Hove/Lewes. There is no firm estimate yet of how long disruption will last but it is likely to continue until at least 10am.”

However, it’s Twitter account is reporting delays of up to 75 minutes.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. feline1 says:
    11 years ago

    I’m going to try to speak to the station manager at Brighton Station in person to complain about the way that poor lady in the wheelchair was treated. Staff totally failed in their duty of care to her.
    She became extremely distressed and anxious because she was stuck on a carriage, unable to get off or have arrangements made for her journey.
    We alerted the platform dispatchers at Brighton, but they didn’t do anything. We tried for over an hour to get the conductor of the train to come and assist her… farcically had to resort to using Twitter to contact Southern! (they didn’t answer their customer service phoneline)… the Twitter staff at first claimed that “Control” had spoken to the conductor and he’d be along to help… then changed their story to that the Control Centre had been unable to contact him (!??! or the driver?! what on earth was going on?!)

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Hundreds of commuters stuck on trains for up to three hours after catalogue of Brighton mainline faults

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
January 2016
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News