• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Construction of wind farm off Brighton coast set to start this week

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 26 Jan, 2016 at 1:17PM
A A
21
Construction of wind farm off Brighton coast set to start this week

The first foundation installed at the Humber Gateway windfarm in 2013

Rampion Offshore Wind Limited has announced that the project remains on schedule with the installation of the first turbine foundation due to start this week, despite adverse weather conditions disrupting enabling works to prepare the seabed.

The first foundation installed at the Humber Gateway windfarm in 2013
The first foundation installed at the Humber Gateway windfarm in 2013

Work to prepare the seabed for the 116 turbines began in September and the initial load of foundations arrived on site from the Netherlands last week. Construction of the first foundation in the northwest quadrant of the site is planned to begin this week.

The ongoing offshore construction work will be project managed from a temporary facility in Newhaven Port until the wind farm’s Operations and Maintenance Base is completed in 2017.

Chris Tomlinson, E.ON Development Manager for the Rampion Offshore Wind Farm, said: “After almost six years of development, including community engagement, engineering and environmental surveys, it’s a really proud moment to finally be installing the first foundations.

“These foundations will be piled into the seabed and will act as a base for each of the 140m turbines, which we will start erecting in early 2017.

“I’m pleased that our highly skilled team have been able to overcome the poor weather conditions that we’ve faced over the last few weeks and continue with the construction of the wind farm as planned.”

Rampion
An artist’s impression of what the wind farm will look like from Brighton seafront

In preparation for the foundation installation work, Rampion Offshore Wind Limited held an exhibition introducing sea users to the offshore construction plans.

Around 50 people attended from the fishing, diving and sailing community on Tuesday 12 January, which also included a Q&A session with the Rampion Project Team and Offshore Construction Manager.

The 400MW project, being built by E.ON, the UK Green Investment Bank and Canadian energy company Enbridge, 13km off the Sussex coast between Brighton and Lancing, remains set to become the first offshore wind farm off the south coast of England.

The development is expected to supply the equivalent of up to 300,000 homes and to reduce CO2 emissions by up to 600,000 tonnes a year.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 21

  1. Pingback: Construction of Rampion offshore wind farm to start | Southdown Rise Residents Association
  2. Herb says:
    10 years ago

    What on earth? This an april fool joke?

    Reply
    • Anon says:
      9 years ago

      No, the only joke here is you

      The development is expected to supply the equivalent of up to 300,000 homes and to reduce CO2 emissions by up to 600,000 tonnes a year.

      Reply
  3. Herb may says:
    10 years ago

    Ok, so I’ve checked and we’re not in April yet. So how on earth did this thing get passed? Downgrading quality of life for millions of people and disrupting ecosystems at least for the short term, who knows about the longer term. And I thought the i360 was bad enough. At least there’ll now be something to gawp at from the top of it- enjoy the view.

    Reply
  4. Enzo Palacio says:
    10 years ago

    Great news 🙂 Some people can’t cope with the new future.
    Renewable energie is the answer for EU
    keep the oil in the ground and the Arabs and Russians poor
    better for the world, better for us
    Side effect is better fish grounds, more fish

    Reply
  5. Bandit armanii says:
    10 years ago

    Im glad theh are helping the econamy by using renewable scorces!

    Reply
  6. Nigel Bailey says:
    9 years ago

    An ugly eyesore in an area of natural panoramic beauty, hugely expensive waste of money. They will not generate the amount of electricity stated and will not replace conventional power stations. The UK taxpayer will foot the bill for subsidising the massive costs. These turbines are inefficient, expensive and ugly, and are no solution to our energy needs.

    Reply
    • peter bennett says:
      9 years ago

      Agreed.

      Reply
    • Anon says:
      9 years ago

      bit short sighted don’t you think

      Reply
    • Guy Funnell says:
      9 years ago

      I agree too. I hate them they wreck the view

      Reply
  7. Gary I Cripps says:
    9 years ago

    I live in Hove, saw and heard the vessel piling. I guessed it must be for new wind turbines and checked online to see I’m right.
    This is fantastic news, creating jobs and reducing our need to burn fossil fuels, so helping to save our dying Planet.
    Well done to all involved.

    Reply
  8. Mark says:
    9 years ago

    There aren’t any locals working on the offshore construction of these turbines.Rampion weren’t interested in my request for work even though we will be paying the bills

    Reply
  9. Mark Stevens says:
    9 years ago

    I wondered what the ugly goings on where on the horizon, as I was on my annual bicycle ride to Shoreham in search on CAMRA approved real ale pubs ! … And now I know. :-/

    Reply
    • Mark Stevens says:
      9 years ago

      *were*

      Reply
      • Bob says:
        9 years ago

        R.i.p

        Reply
  10. Filip Bartczak says:
    9 years ago

    How can anyone be against this!!. Zero noise impact, renewable energy and it’ll look pretty damn cool.

    Reply
    • Anon says:
      9 years ago

      Bravo!!!

      Reply
  11. Rosy Young says:
    9 years ago

    Just can’t believe it !! I don’t know how this got passed!?

    Reply
    • Anon says:
      9 years ago

      To help the planet Rosy, that is good enough in my book.

      Reply
  12. Peter Dakin says:
    9 years ago

    These wind turbines are a complete waste of money and resource. The power claims are nearly ten times the real output.
    It would be far more sense to install Tide turbines in the same positions. The output from these is completely predictable. Governments are being conned by the money grabbing manufacturers of these wind monsters.

    Reply
  13. thomas chudalla says:
    9 years ago

    there´s nothing more ugly than an off shore windpark. apart from a i360 monstrosity. and a zip-wire attraction. and the new seafront. and the marina. and blokes in bars without shirts. for the first time i am happy that i´ve moved away. poor old brighton, what have they done to you?

    Reply

Leave a Reply to Mark Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Man found dead in house this morning

Mugger wanted after robbery in Brighton street

Construction of wind farm off Brighton coast set to start this week

Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

Car showroom to become supermarket

Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn

Moped rider held on suspicion of drug dealing

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Woman guilty of stealing hostage memorial

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Mystery Musicals Bottomless Brunch – Komedia Brighton

Mystery Musicals Bottomless Brunch – Komedia Brighton

17 February 2026
The Ballad of Johnny & June – The Johnny Cash Musical

The Ballad of Johnny & June – The Johnny Cash Musical

17 February 2026
Mischa Barton makes her UK stage debut in Double Indemnity

Mischa Barton makes her UK stage debut in Double Indemnity

17 February 2026
Get ‘Down In The Park’ with Gary Numan

Get ‘Down In The Park’ with Gary Numan

17 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
4

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
January 2016
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
  • Man dies in crash this afternoon 16 February 2026
  • Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn 16 February 2026
  • Man, 63, charged after pub stabbing 16 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News