Police ask for help tracing man who could be linked with Brighton hit and run

Posted On 18 Feb 2016 at 10:17 pm

Police have asked for help tracing a man who could be linked to a hit and run in Brighton last month.

A video of 53-year-old Andy Payne, from Hove, being thrown into the air by a Fiat 500 car, has been viewed online millions of times.

Astonishingly Mr Payne, who was left for dead, is now recovering from his injuries at home.

And while Sussex Police have made arrests in the case, they are still trying to speak to witnesses and others who can help bring the driver to justice.


Sussex Police said: “Do you recognise this man who police want to trace in connection with the hit and run on (Thursday) 14 January in Kemp Town, Brighton?

“This man is seen at around 4.20pm in The Premier Bristol Estate Convenience Store, Donald Hall Road, on the same day as the collision, buying lighter fluid.

“Officers believe he may have a connection with the Fiat 500, the car which collided with a pedestrian, and was found in Madehurst Close, Brighton, having suffered fire damage.

“Police are continuing to investigate the hit and run on Thursday 14 January where, at 3.40pm, 53-year-old man was hit by a Fiat 500 as he crossed Montague Place in the Kemp Town area.

CCTV Kemp Town hit and run 20160114-2

Police are trying to trace the man pictured above. He can also be seen in the video below

hit and run

“The Fiat was being driven along Bristol Road before turning left into Montague Place where it collided with the man crossing the road.

“It didn’t stop at the scene and carried on along Montague Place and turned right into College Street.”

Sergeant Dan Pitcher said: “We believe this man could be connected to the hit and run and has key information which would form part of our investigation. He bought the lighter fluid shortly after the collision.

“We are appealing to this man to come forward or anyone who knows who he is to come and speak to us.”

Footage of the man in the shop has been uploaded to YouTube.


Sussex Police said: “A 31-year-old man from Brighton was arrested on suspicion of driving a vehicle dangerously, causing serious injury by dangerous driving, aggravated vehicle taking, failing to stop at the scene of an road accident, driving without a licence or insurance and attempting to pervert the course of justice.

“A 56-year-old woman has been arrested on suspicion of attempting to pervert the course of justice.

“They have both been bailed until (Sunday) 3 April while inquiries continue.”

Anyone with information is asked to phone Sussex police on 101 or email collision.appeal@sussex.pnn.police.uk.

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.