• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Hyde to hold three more design workshops for Hove seafront scheme

by Frank le Duc
Monday 13 Jun, 2016 at 4:00PM
A A
3
Hyde to hold three more design workshops for Hove seafront scheme

From left, Councillor Denise Cobb, Tom Shaw, from Hyde, Guy Goodman, from architects HGP, and Peter Kyle MP

Housing association Hyde is to hold three more design workshops as it prepares its plans for the vacant Sackville Hotel site on Hove seafront.

Hove Labour MP Peter Kyle and the Conservative councillor for Westbourne Ward, Denise Cobb, were among those attending the first session.

The pair tried out ideas with computer-aided design technology as Hyde goes back to the drawing with its plans for 189 Kingsway.

  • The next sessions are due to take place on
  • Wednesday 15 June from 2.30pm to 5.30pm
  • Monday 20 June from 5.30pm to 8.30pm
  • Friday 24 June from 1.30pm to 4.30pm

To book a place, visit the project website www.189kingsway.com.

From left, Councillor Denise Cobb, Tom Shaw, from Hyde, Guy Goodman, from architects HGP, and Peter Kyle MP
From left, Councillor Denise Cobb, Tom Shaw, from Hyde, Guy Goodman, from architects HGP, and Peter Kyle MP – Picture courtesy of the Brighton and Hove Independent

Hyde’s first proposal for the site was criticised for being too tall and the housing association withdrew its planning application earlier this year.

The new scheme – described as intended to be mid-rise, elegant and neighbourly – is expected to be less than half the height of the original scheme.

Architects HGP, the firm behind the Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth, are exploring ways of stepping down the height at the rear so that it fits better with the homes behind the site.

Hyde said that it was “looking at a building sitting within its surrounding context”.

Mr Kyle said: “I’m really pleased that they are committing so fully to listening and taking on board the views of residents.

“I urge people to take part and engage with the workshops. Now we’ve won this opportunity for a rethink it’s up to us to make our views, concerns and aspirations for the site known loud and clear.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. saveHOVE says:
    10 years ago

    Following receipt of an invitation by email and phone, and putting a post on the saveHOVE website about this, Tom Shaw of Hyde Housing emailed – and that too went onto the website: verbatim.

    Seeking clarification, Mr. Shaw was asked if he could categorically state that Hyde would not seek to building above the 6-8 storeys laid down as policy SPGBH 15, for the Sackville Hotel site, at 189 Kingsway.

    He never replied.

    I hope residents will realise that even 6-8 storeys is a massive overshadowing burden on the housing on the north side of the site and therefore not humane or acceptable to inflict on them. But, too, the building line along the Kingsway is at stake.

    Do you want a Benidorm-style line of towerblocks from King Alfred to the Port of Shoreham to rise up over the next 10 years? If a breach of the 6-8 storey limit is allowed at Sackville then, like skittles, ten-pins, the entire seafront will follow as developers pounce on their opportunity to screw more profit out of Hove’s seafront – by any means, including adding extra storeys to existing blocks of flats. You up for that? I hope not.

    Reply
  2. Margaret Temme says:
    10 years ago

    The new building should be no higher than the previous Sackville Hotel. It should be elegant and within keeping of previous styles along the seafront. I am hoping Hyde do a wonderful job and reply to those people who have asked questions or those who have commented which warranties a reply.

    Reply
  3. James B says:
    10 years ago

    The majority of Hove seafront has buildings between 6 – 9 storeys, mostly not of any great quality. I don’t see people describing those as “inhumane” and the streets and residents behind seem to exist quite happily. There needs to be some sort of perspective here; Brighton and Hove needs homes to be built and this is a prime seafront site, which deserves great architecture. I’m glad Hyde did the right thing with the withdrawal of the Tower application, having taken a step back and started again, and particularly involving local residents in the new design. I support Peter Kyle’s statement that this is a valuable opportunity and local residents need to embrace it and engage. Personally, I’m all for new development of the right type and I think Hyde have gone a long way to redressing the balance on this particular site. Developers exist to make a commercial return, but they also deliver new homes, fund community infrastructure and can have a positive impact. I’m fairly optimistic this will be achieved at Sackville Gardens and look forward to seeing the final plans shaped by local people.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Hyde to hold three more design workshops for Hove seafront scheme

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Sussex University staff vote to strike to try to save jobs

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
June 2016
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News