• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Working parents hardest hit by new Southern timetable

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 5 Jul, 2016 at 4:04PM
A A
3
Rail union calls five-day strike

Working parents look set to be the worst affected by Southern Railway’s new temporary timetable which starts from next week.

Southern trains stock shot

Under the revised timetable – released to combat short staffing and cancellations – the first two direct Brighton to London Victoria trains after 8am – when most nurseries and school breakfast clubs open – have been cancelled, with a gap of more than an hour between the 7.44am and the 8.46am services.

And it’s a similar story on the way back, as the 4pm Victoria to Brighton has been cancelled, and the two trains the other side at 3.50pm and 4.20pm have usually been formed of just four carriages only, which means parents risk not catching them and being fined for late pick-ups.

One Brighton mother, Laura Marshall, said: “The cancelling of the 8.30am is a massive pain for me as nursery opens at 8am and then I hotfoot it to the station. I arrive into work late but it is accepted given I am very early other days when not doing drop off.

“Getting in for 10am is going to cause problems so then I’ll work longer that day and will miss bedtime with my daughter.”

Another, Justine Stephens, said: “Its basically all of our trains in and out that have been removed. I am going to have to get the Thameslinks and change.

“My husband already slums it on the Thameslink in order that we aren’t on the same train lines should the inevitable cancellations etc occur.

“I pay £5.5k for this service. There must be a big campaign here – to reclaim 15% of our ticket price, that being the level of deterioration in service that we will all be experiencing according to GTR.”

A third, Hayley Regan, said: “I drop off at 8am and sometimes pay for a taxi to get the 8.15am and have the backup of the 8.30am. I go in early two other days but still there’s no guarantees.

“Surely they can’t justify a one hour wait from 7.44am to 8.46am! I’m sure it’s the same for others. I’ve had to cancel meetings for next week now.”

Hove MP Peter Kyle called on Southern to restore the full timetable asap – and run longer trains in the meantime.

He said: “Working families have already been hit hard by all this disruption – my inbox has been full of emails over the last year from frustrated parents who end up arriving home late after their children have gone to bed. 

“This current situation shows why the emergency timetable is simply not a sustainable solution and a full timetable must return ASAP. 

“Southern must also surely take action during this interim period and lengthen any four carriage trains on the Mainline routes to help cope with extra demand from cancelled services.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Anon says:
    10 years ago

    Does anyone still remain unconvinced that this is a company that just doesn’t give a tupenny damn for any of us. All they see anytime they look at us is £££££!
    They’re an absolute disgrace, run by top management who view us all with nothing but contempt. They have GOT to go!

    Reply
  2. Haygarth Woodman says:
    10 years ago

    My family and I moved to Shoreham in December 2014, excited to be raising our daughter on the south coast and my wife hopeful of finding work. People did tell us that occasionally the trains could be a pain but it is literally unbearable. Trains are more often late than on time, over crowded and frequently cancelled with no significant compensation. Southern Rail are utterly appalling but with salaries low and career opportunities so rare in Brighton, people have absolutely no choice but to park their dignity and keep bundling on to the trains to travel like cattle up to a city where they can earn enough to live on. 18 months later we’re moving on. I’m giving up a job I love, passing up a long awaited promotion and our daughter is being yanked from a nursery where she’s flourishing and making friends. The real cherry on the cake is the fact they they still run first class sections and wait for it…fine people on top of their £5k pass fee for going in there when there’s no seats elsewhere. You couldn’t make it up.

    Reply
  3. Rob cockburn says:
    10 years ago

    building on this I now cannot make it back home in time for the end of the nursery day for my son. Living in Seaford and having the extended time from a replacement bus means I have to get the earlier train home and miss core hours at work. I can’t get in earlier as the nursery is noy yet open.

    I will not be able to keep my job if this continues.

    I am very worried that a compromise will be made and that the Seaford line and connections from London will never get back to previous levels of services. When things go wrong on the line we are usually the ones to lost out on prioritisation of service. When this is sorted out we cannot lose out any more

    We are having a protest on 12th July from 6-8pm and encourage people to come if they can get there. I would recommend driving or the bus

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Working parents hardest hit by new Southern timetable

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Lewes line to reopen next month

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
July 2016
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News