• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Albion players open new emergency unit at Brighton hospital

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 28 Mar, 2018 at 8:02AM
A A
0
Albion players open new emergency unit at Brighton hospital

Steve Barden, Pamela Heafield, Marianne Griffiths, Bruno Saltor and Anthony Knockaert

Two Brighton and Hove Albion footballers opened a new emergency unit at the Royal Sussex County Hospital yesterday afternoon (Tuesday 27 March).

Bruno Saltor and Anthony Knockaert

Bruno Saltor and Anthony Knockaert opened the new Emergency Ambulatory Care Unit (EACU) at the Royal Sussex and met staff and patients.

The players joined hospital trust chief executive Marianne Griffiths to cut the ribbon on the new unit and mark its official opening.

This new combined ambulatory unit is part of the A&E (Accident and Emergency) Department, creating space for 70 patients to be treated.

It is one of the first in the country where medical and surgical teams work alongside each other to treat emergency patients who do not need to stay in overnight.

This allows those patients to move more quickly from initial triage to receiving treatment and frees up space in A&E and on other wards for patients who are more seriously unwell.

Marianne Griffiths said: “We want our patients to get the best possible treatment.

“In opening the Emergency Ambulatory Care Unit today we are supporting the efforts of our staff and the care of our patients with significant improvements to the A&E environment.

“This light and spacious unit increases the overall capacity within A&E.

“It allows us to develop new, better treatment pathways for many patients and makes it easier to deliver seamless care across the department.

“It takes pressure off both the A&E front door and our overnight wards.”

Steve Barden, Pamela Heafield, Marianne Griffiths, Bruno Saltor and Anthony Knockaert

Steve Barden, lead consultant for the EACU, said: “This combined unit will make a real difference to patients and staff.

“It allows us to transfer the care of patients between medical and surgical teams as seamlessly as possible, which improves patients’ experience.

“We can offer treatments to patients on a day case basis who previously would have been admitted, even though they didn’t require 24-hour hospital care.

“The potential of what we can offer will continue to grow now that the unit is a fully operational part of our Emergency Department.”

The Emergency Ambulatory Care unit has nine treatment rooms, six treatment spaces, three procedure rooms, two side rooms and an IV (intravenous) therapy area that can accommodate 14 patients.

It is the first phase in a broader programme of improvements to A&E at the Royal Sussex which started last year.

The £30 million programme will include reconfiguring and expanding other key areas in A&E in three phases, creating space overall for an extra 105 patients.

It means extra doctors and nurses too, with bosses at the hospital aiming to complete the project by the end of next year.

Part of the reason it will take so long is that the area is being reconfigured without closing the busy existing facilities and all while the major wider modernisation project is under way.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

School building to become temporary charity hub

Albion players open new emergency unit at Brighton hospital

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Hospital marks milestone in £62m A&E modernisation

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

22 February 2026
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
March 2018
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News