• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Official watchdog criticises Brighton hospital where patient died after drinking cleaning fluid

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 17 May, 2018 at 12:02AM
A A
1
Long waits for more than 9,000 patients at Brighton hospital

The Barry Building at the Royal Sussex County Hospital

The Brighton hospital where a patient died after drinking cleaning fluid has been criticised in a report by the official health watchdog.

Staff were still storing potentially poisonous cleaning fluids in kitchens despite being reminded to keep it in dedicated locked cupboards when inspectors checked up.

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspected the hospital trust – Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals – after Joan Blaber died at the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Kemp Town.

Mrs Blaber, 85, died in September and the CQC sent in inspectors for an unannounced visit in October.

Its report is published this morning (Thursday 17 May) and can be read here.

The chief inspector of hospitals told the trust, which runs the Royal Sussex, “that it must take steps to ensure that its patients are protected from potentially hazardous cleaning materials”.

The CQC said: “During the inspection the CQC found that housekeeping assistants had a good knowledge of the regulations relating to Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (CoSHH) cleaning products and had recently received refresher training.

”Although nursing staff received training in the CoSHH regulations as part of their mandatory training programme, some were not clear about their responsibilities.

“There was not a system in place which gave assurance that Control of Substances Hazardous to Health information had been read or understood by staff using the substances.

“Training materials provided by the trust made it clear that there was no legitimate reason to decant cleaning products into other containers.

“Although staff were aware of this, some cleaning staff said there had been occasions where this had happened without authorisation.

“At the time of the inspection the trust had removed green water jugs which had been in place to support people with dementia and replaced them with clear jugs that meant it was possible to see the liquid inside the jug.

“The trust had also instructed all the codes on the cleaning cupboard doors to be changed. However, inspectors found that door codes had not been changed at the time of inspection.

“Products were not always stored securely but found stored in unlocked utility rooms and kitchens and on three wards that inspectors visited access codes were written on door or doorframes close to digital locks. They also found unattended cleaning trolleys containing hazardous substances.

The Royal Sussex County Hospital
“Ward areas had information folders and generally staff knew where these were located. However, the content of the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health folders reviewed during this inspection were not always complete and risk assessments or data sheets were not available in cleaning cupboards.”

Amanda Stanford, CQC Deputy Chief Inspector of Hospital inspection for the South, said: “The regulations governing the safe use of these cleaning products are there to protect people from harm.

“During our inspection we found that these chemicals were not always being kept safely.

“We have told the trust they must ensure all products that are subject to the CoSHH regulations are stored securely.

“They must also introduce a system which gives assurance that information relating to all substances subject to Control of Substances Hazardous to Health is available in every work area.

“This information must be complete and accurate, and staff must be able to understand it.

“Nursing staff too must be aware of the regulations and their responsibilities with regard to safe storage and use of these products.”

CQC has told the trust that it must provide a report setting out how it will meet the regulations. Inspectors will return in due course to check that the improvements have been made.

Dr Rob Haigh, the trust’s medical director, said: “This inspection followed the death of a patient in September 2017 at the Royal Sussex County Hospital following an incident on a medical ward. Our thoughts are with the patient’s family.

“The incident was reported straight away and we took immediate, trust-wide action to prevent the same thing happening again.

“In the seven months since the CQC’s inspection, we have taken significant steps to improve the way we manage potentially hazardous substances both in terms of staff training and the way these substances are stored and used, addressing the points published in today’s report.”

A full inquest into Mrs Blaber’s death will be held in the autumn.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Ms J says:
    8 years ago

    Good leadership isn’t just about issuing instructions to staff. It’s also about providing management and support, including checking that instructions are carried out, to ensure everyone’s doing the right things. For a long time we’ve had weak leadership and poor management at the Royal Sussex, with favourites, bullying and other bad practices.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Official watchdog criticises Brighton hospital where patient died after drinking cleaning fluid

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters urge people to avoid dangerous aerosol trend

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Load More
May 2018
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News