• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Police urged to keep trains running for this year’s Lewes Bonfire

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 4 Jul, 2018 at 11:28AM
A A
3
Police urged to keep trains running for this year’s Lewes Bonfire

by Huw Oxburgh, local democracy reporter

by Huw Oxburgh, local democracy reporter

Council leaders have urged the police not to close railway stations during the Lewes Bonfire celebrations again.

At meeting of Lewes District Council’s cabinet on Monday (July 2), councillors formally requested public officials not to restrict rail travel into Lewes during the November 5 bonfire celebrations or else to make arrangements to open the station later in the evening.

Last year, trains stopped calling at stations including Brighton London Road, Moulsecoomb and Falmer after midday on November 5 in a bid to stop people travelling to the celebrations – but this also left commuters and other travellers stranded.

The requests, put forward by the council’s scrutiny committee and agreed by cabinet members, were sent to the multi-agency group making public safety arrangements for the historic annual event.

The multi-agency group, which includes police and other emergency services, was expected to make a decision on the travel arrangements on Monday but has yet to announce its decision.

Speaking at the cabinet meeting, scrutiny committee chairman Peter Gardiner said: “Scrutiny puts it to you that the train station should not be shut. It is an important local event of significance to Lewes and its environment, but we put it quite strongly that Lewes is not just the town but all the people around.

“Many people from my village and many people from all the villages around take part in the bonfire celebrations. So we thought it was foolish to cut off stations like Cooksbridge where, if the policy was implemented, there would be no chance of trains stopping from one morning to the next morning.”

“We felt it was particularly important that people who would be commuting should not be inconvenienced for the sake of the bonfire. There are lot of people commuting into Glynde, Cooksbridge and Falmer even, so we felt it important that trains continue to run.

“We recognise that Lewes Bonfire is not a safe event. If you were going to start doing anything of this sort, you wouldn’t do it in the way it is done in a town of tight streets with fireworks and barrels of flame being rolled down the streets. But it happens in other towns and Lewes is by far the biggest of its sort and it is a very important event for the town.”

Cllr Gardiner also put forward a request for the rail stations to reopen later in the evening if the closures went ahead and for alternative commuter routes to have increased carriage space to accommodate the extra demand.

Cabinet members agreed to forward the scrutiny committee’s recommendations to the multi-agency group in the form of a formal request.

Council leader Andy Smith said: “I like the recommendations, they seem very sensible. Unfortunately in this situation it isn’t the cabinet that makes the decision. I would like to continue your recommendations to the Tactical Co-ordination Group.

“This is the position we would like to see, but ultimately it is their decision.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Scepticus says:
    8 years ago

    A multi-agency group who’ve been running the event safely for years or a bunch of local councillors who don’t even live in Lewes for the most part. I know whose opinion I’d value more…

    Reply
  2. Read between the lines says:
    8 years ago

    Shame you didn’t think to read the reports on the LDC website before writing this as from them you can see that the Councillors have issued this request against the advice of their own officers and the police. If you look at the makeup of the scrutiny committee, of 11 members, 9 are from outside Lewes and most represent wards not even serviced by the statons that would be closed so they were always unlikely to understand the event or safety issues properly and make a poor decision as a result.

    Reply
  3. Tom Paine says:
    8 years ago

    Bonfire has taken place with relatively few arrests and injuries for generations. What’s changed is the make-up of the team behind the policing and pubic safety decisions. Instead of ensuring there are enough police, fire and ambulance staff on duty and that the trains and buses run properly, they are instead trying to prevent people from travelling around the county where they live and work. They need to think again.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

New bus route to start next month

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Police urged to keep trains running for this year’s Lewes Bonfire

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
SORA pop up to bring a layer of class to Malmaison

SORA arrives at Malmaison Brighton Marina

22 May 2026
Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

22 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 4: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 4: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
July 2018
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News