• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Car hire firm’s Pride cocktail plans met with a shake of the head from police

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 9 Jul, 2018 at 6:07PM
A A
1
Car hire firm’s Pride cocktail plans met with a shake of the head from police


A car hire business in Brighton is bidding to open a cocktail bar for Pride weekend.

Strafford Car Hire in Preston Road has submitted a temporary event notice for a VIP cocktail bar, with live and recorded music, in front of its showroom.

It also wants to install a marquee on its land under the fourth arch of the viaduct as part of the licence for a ticketed event for 499 people.

In the application to sell alcohol and have music, the company states it wants to open the bar from 10am-2am on August 4 and 10am-midnight on August 5.

Sussex Police has objected to the application stating it warned the company’s agent it would object for a multitude of reasons.

In her letter of objection Sussex Police licensing and response inspector Di Lewis pointed out more than 300,000 people are expected to celebrate Pride as well as other events during the weekend.

She pointed out 55,000 people are expected in Preston Park on the Saturday and 20,000 for the LoveBN1 event on Sunday, which puts a strain on the emergency services.

Her letter to the licensing committee said: “Public safety could be put at risk with any form of obstruction or large congregation of people.

“Both within the event or for emergency services trying to pass by to attend a different location.

“This number of people would also require the oversight of police throughout the weekend which would add to already stretched resources.”

Brighton and Hove City Council’s environmental protection department is also objecting to the plans.

Environmental protection officer Mylene Hayward points out all businesses along the Pride parade route are asked not to play music to prevent people gathering and causing an obstruction.

She wrote: “There is concern that with the congregation of potentially up to 499 people and their noise and the volume of music this could have an impact on residents living in close proximity this event goes on past the hours of the Pride event in the park.”

An extensive supporting statement for business owner Stephen Strafford, states the company also plans to set up a respite and first aid station for Pride volunteers and stewards.

It states: “It is true to say that Mr Strafford has not previously engaged in the Pride festival. However, this event, he hopes, will be the first of many.

“Mr Strafford also wishes to support the staff and volunteers at this year’s event and to this end has included a separate rest area for Pride staff.”

Extensive details of security and safety measures for the site are included in the application.

The licensing panel discusses the application at Hove Town Hall at 10am on Monday, 16 July.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Leo says:
    8 years ago

    Those poor neighbours!

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Car hire firm’s Pride cocktail plans met with a shake of the head from police

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
July 2018
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News