• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Police object to Brighton car hire firm’s plan for Pride cocktail bar

by Frank le Duc
Monday 16 Jul, 2018 at 10:21PM
A A
0
Police object to Brighton car hire firm’s plan for Pride cocktail bar

If it was any other weekend, a car hire company’s plan to run a cocktail bar might not have faced objections from Sussex Police.

But the police made their objections clear at a Brighton and Hove City Council licensing panel hearing today (Monday 16 July).

They objected to two temporary events planned for the Pride weekend at the start of August by Strafford Car and Van Hire.

The business, based under the viaduct in Preston Road, has plans for a VIP cocktail bar with jazz and a second area with dance music under one of the arches.

Combined, the two ticketed events would have a capacity for 900 visitors plus staff.

Concerns were raised about security, escape and fire plans, as well as crowds gathering around the entrance.

Sussex Police licensing officer Mark Thorogood told the panel hearing at Hove Town Hall: “If we were looking at any other weekend of the year, we would not call for a hearing.

“For any other weekend, we would have the resources to manage any issues.

“Pride is different. It affects all of Brighton and Hove and the city doubles in size in terms of people.

“Pride pay a significant amount of money for our policing.”

He pointed out policing for Pride is planned in minute detail with officers brought in from other forces to help.

Licensing consultant Steve Wright, for car hire business owner Stephen Strafford, told the panel that the application should be “considered in isolation”.

He said: “It must be considered on its own merits.

“The police are saying they do not do this in isolation. I am saying they should do this in isolation.

“This will be well managed. I am disappointed at the suggestion there will be issues.

“How can they say the premises will not do well when it hasn’t had the opportunity to do so.”

Mr Wright repeatedly underlined his point the event would be well managed and would meet the council’s licensing objectives.

Strafford’s managing director Fraser Strafford addressed concerns about crowds outside, saying that he had spent many Pride weekends at the business.

He said: “We’ve never had a point when we couldn’t leave.

“Even when the event goes past, the pavement is flowing with people.”

Labour councillor Mo Marsh, who chaired the panel, said that she led the parade at the top of a bus last year and had attended many Prides in the past.

She said: “People do not move. I headed the parade and had a brilliant view.

“I really took the opportunity last year to look on each side.”

Mr Thorogood said that the logistics of managing the site and Mr Strafford’s lack of experience running a licensed event was a concern.

Environmental health officers also objected to the potential noise, saying they were often called in to stop people playing music in the street along the Pride parade route.

The panel continued its discussions in private and said that it would inform all interested parties of its decision in writing.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Police object to Brighton car hire firm’s plan for Pride cocktail bar

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
July 2018
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News