• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Fewer child deaths in Brighton and Hove

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 7 Nov, 2018 at 5:07PM
A A
0
Death of the Deghayes brothers – official report published

Abdullah and Jaffar Deghayes

Fewer children died in Brighton and Hove last year although the number with a “child protection plan” rose by almost 10 per cent.

The number of child deaths went down to eight from eleven while the number of children subject to a child protection plan went up from 367 to 397.

The figures are contained in a new report which also said that 418 children were in care in Brighton and Hove at the end of March.

The figure is slightly above the recent historic low of 409, in January, and down from 454 at the end of March 2017.

The report – drawn up by the Brighton and Hove Local Safeguarding Children Board – also sets out the lessons learnt from the deaths of three teenagers.

Abdullah Deghayes and his brother Jaffar died in fighting in Syria in 2014 while Steffan Bonnot, who was in the council’s care, killed himself on New Year’s Day 2016.

They were the subject of two serious case reviews which were published in 2017-18, the safeguarding board said.

Seventeen-year-old Steffan’s body was found on railway tracks. He had spent 12 years in care, moving 31 times, and was anxious about leaving a residential therapeutic unit where he had enjoyed a relatively stable period of his life.

He had previously had a number of unsuccessful foster placements and had concerns about going back into foster care.

Fergus Smith, who carried out the serious case review after Steffan’s death, said that better liaison and communication was needed.

The safeguarding board’s annual report said: “All social work staff were reminded of the importance of providing carers with written information when making placements for children in care … and reminded to ensure that children are fully briefed about the information shared.”

It also said that, as a result of the review, contingency plans should be put in place in case foster placements break down.

Steffan Bonnot

The other review looked to learn lessons from the radicalisation of the Deghayes brothers, who grew up in Saltdean.

Abdullah, 18, and Jaffar, 17, were reported to be fighting for the Al-Nusra Front, an affiliate of Al Qaida, against the government of President Bashar Al-Assad.

The review said that they had experienced racism while growing up and that this had played a part in the pair becoming radicalised.

The safeguarding board also responded to concerns relating to domestic abuse – the boys’ father Abubaker Deghayes has since been jailed.

Abdullah and Jaffar Deghayes

The board has asked the Safe in the City Partnership board to look at how domestic abuse services in Brighton and Hove meet the needs of people who are black, Asian or from an ethnic minority.

Training was updated because the review found that there was little understanding of minority faith and ethnic groups in Brighton and Hove.

The independent chairman of the safeguarding board Chris Robson said: “Child protection and safeguarding in the multi-agency world are complex and quick solutions are not always available.

“Our priorities are designed to drive whole system change and service improvement which, if carried out correctly, should lead to improved outcomes for the children and young people of Brighton and Hove who need them most.”

Brighton and Hove City Council’s Health and Wellbeing Board is due to discuss the report at Hove Town Hall next Tuesday (13 November). The meeting, which is open to the public, starts at 4pm.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Fewer child deaths in Brighton and Hove

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Lewes line to reopen next month

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
November 2018
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News