• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton bus fraudster fined

by Frank le Duc
Sunday 6 Jan, 2019 at 9:19PM
A A
2
Brighton bus fraudster fined

Jordan Rudwick

A Brighton man has been fined for trying to defraud a bus company by lodging a fake injury claim.

Jordan Rudwick

Jordan Rudwick, 23, of Wiltshire House, in Lavender Street, Brighton, pleaded guilty to the offence at Brighton Magistrates’ Court.

Rudwick was caught out by security camera footage, having pretended to be hurt in a minor collision involving a bus and his car when he was in a shop at the time.

Brighton and Hove Buses said: “At 10am on 5 November 2017, a Brighton and Hove Buses bus lightly clipped a parked black Volkswagen Golf outside Whitehawk Co-op, in Whitehawk Road. The bus driver immediately pulled over.

“The car owner, 23-year-old Jordan Rudwick, later sent an injury claim to Brighton and Hove Buses, claiming he suffered upper body, neck and back injuries as a result of the collision and that his injuries meant he had to take a day off work.

“But CCTV from the Co-op and from the bus clearly shows Mr Rudwick in the Co-op buying drinks when the minor collision occurred.

“When he saw the bus clip his car, Mr Rudwick dropped his bag of shopping and ran outside to exchange details with the bus driver.

“While Mr Rudwick popped into the shop, CCTV footage showed there was at least one passenger in the back of his car and the driver’s door was open.

“When Sussex Police interviewed Mr Rudwick in February 2018 he admitted he had lied about being in the car when it was struck by the bus. In April, police gave him a conditional caution and ordered him to pay £150 to charity. Brighton and Hove Buses chose the Clock Tower Sanctuary.

“But Sussex Police took the fraudster back to Brighton Magistrates’ Court on (Thursday) 20 December because Mr Rudwick hadn’t donated the money to charity. This time, the magistrate fined him £133 and ordered him to pay £115 court costs.”

Jordan Rudwick

Brighton and Hove Buses insurance and claims manager Ed Knight said: “He blatantly tried to defraud the bus company by claiming he had been injured when a bus clipped his car and then he failed to donate the money to the Clock Tower Sanctuary charity.

“Ultimately, if his claim had been settled, the money he would have received is money passengers have paid for their travel. If you or your family travel by bus, that money would’ve been given to him.

“All of our buses have CCTV and we investigate every single claim. I’m surprised that people think they can get away with these dishonest claims. We will continue to report all fraudulent claims to Sussex Police.”

Jordan Rudwick at the Whitehawk Co-op

Rudwick was fined £133 and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £30 and prosecution costs of £85, making £248 in total.

Four years ago Rudwick was before the courts for wasting police time after a four-hour rooftop stand-off in Western Road, Brighton.

In March 2018, a Brighton cab driver tried to defraud Brighton and Hove Buses by claiming a bus crashed into him, when in fact it was the other way around – and he ended up having to pay almost £7,000 in court costs.

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. BrightonReader says:
    8 years ago

    What an idiot.

    Not only does he try and defraud the bus company he then fails to comply with the police caution so he ends up in court, a guilty verdict and has to pay even more out in fines.

    Reply
  2. Mr_Witty says:
    8 years ago

    A well known man actually but they don’t care!..lol

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Brighton bus fraudster fined

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Load More
January 2019
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News