• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

City’s tourism chief quits after 18 months

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 14 Jan, 2019 at 2:43PM
A A
1
The Oldie Literary Lunch


Brighton’s new tourism chief is quitting her post after just 18 months to move back to the Midlands.

Val Birchall joined Brighton and Hove in July 2017 tasked with progressing plans to move the Royal Pavilion and the city’s museums into a trust.

But a behind-doors decision to jump straight to forming a new joint trust with Brighton Dome & Festival sparked calls for industrial action and in October, the council reverted to its original plans.

Ms Birchall, who came to the city from a job as cultural lead for the West Midlands, is due to leave Brighton next month after being offered a new position at Coventry City Council.

Opposition to the joint trust plans was spearheaded by the GMB union, which threatened industrial action in January last year over concerns the pavilion and museums staff were simply being handed over to the Dome, which has not signed up as a living wage employer, as well as a lack of consultation.

GMB branch secretary Mark Turner said: “I think she found it difficult. What was going on in the Royal Pavilion nearly culminated in that service voting to go on on strike for the first time since the winter of discontent in 1979.

“It’s an indication of how that whole thing was handled. It was a mess, it was shambolic how it was all put together, and in the end the council did a complete U-turn and it’s now been kicked into the long grass.

“I don’t think Val Birchall delivered what people thought she would deliver but then I don’t necessarily have a great deal of confidence in her and other senior management after the whole Royal Pavilion debacle. We lost all confidence in senior management.”

A council spokeswoman said: “Val will be leaving Brighton and Hove City Council in February 2019 to take up a new post at Coventry City Council.

“Val was appointed to develop new strategic approaches for culture and the visitor economy and to progress plans to move the Royal Pavilion & Museums into a trust.

“The city now has clear policy frameworks and action plans, stronger partnership arrangements with the relevant sectors, and the council has a clearly defined project plan for the Royal Pavilion & Museums which is making good progress towards its objective.

“The process to find a replacement for Val will begin in the new year.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Christopher Hawtree says:
    8 years ago

    It was strange that cllr Robins took no interest in the seething situation at the Pavilion until the last minute. An eye on the ball would have seen that it was an explosive situation.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

City’s tourism chief quits after 18 months

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
January 2019
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News