• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Hove

Hangleton neighbours fight ‘excessive’ disabled ramp

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 5 Feb, 2019 at 2:48PM
A A
0
Hangleton neighbours fight ‘excessive’ disabled ramp


An “excessive” disabled access ramp has drawn complains from Hangleton neighbours who are angry about the loss of green space in front of their homes.

Brighton and Hove City council built the ramp in front of a house in Clarke Avenue in May last year without planning permission.

But after complaints a retrospective application was made in October which will now go before the council’s Planning Committee tomorrow (Wednesday 6 February).

One neighbour objecting to the ramp, whose details have been redacted on the planning portal, described it as “over and above what is required”.

The neighbour said: “The front of the properties in Clarke Avenue is a green area and part of this has now been lost, as well as dividing the green area.

“I have tried on several occasions to purchase or lease the area outside my property to make a hard standing for my cars but this has always been rejected by the council as it would affect the rest of the area.”

Another neighbour, whose name is also redacted, described the ramp has harming the street scene.

The neighbour said: “The application is scant in detail as to why this particular design and size of ramp is considered necessary in this case.

“No justification has been put forward by the council’s housing team for this.

“There has been no balancing exercise by the council to assess the needs of the resident … against our rights as the adjoining landowners and the rights of other neighbours.”

Hangleton and Knoll Conservative councillor Dawn Barnett backs the neighbours.

She said: “I would like to stress that I am fully supportive of measures to help those with disabilities. However, I believe the design of the access ramp in question to be much too excessive for what is required to access the property.

“The application lacks clarification as to why this design and size of ramp is considered necessary in this case.”

The Planning Committee is due to discuss the application at Hove Town Hall tomorrow (Wednesday 6 February). The meeting, which starts at 2pm, is open to the public.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Café can become gym after plans approved

School building to become temporary charity hub

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Hangleton neighbours fight ‘excessive’ disabled ramp

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Hove man given ‘slavery and trafficking risk order’

Drinks licence granted for site just south of St Peter’s Church

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
February 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News