• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Judge sentences deportation flight protester from Brighton

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 7 Feb, 2019 at 12:19PM
A A
2
Brighton protester appeals against conviction for preventing deportation flight

Fourteen of the Stansted15 outside Chelmsford Crown Court on the first day of their trial on Monday 1 October 2018

A woman from Brighton has been sentenced for her part in a protest about deportation flights which involved physically preventing a flight from leaving Stansted airport.

Lyndsay Burtonshaw

Lyndsay Burtonshaw, 28, a research associate at the School of Global Studies at Sussex University, was one of 15 protesters who halted the flight from Stansted in March 2017.

All 15 denied breaking the law having cut their way through the airport perimeter fence and locked themselves together around a Boeing 767 aircraft which had been chartered by the Home Office.

They had all denied endangering an aircraft contrary to the Aviation and Maritime Security Act 1990 and have since appealed against their conviction.

Burtonshaw was among the 11 defendants to be given a 12-month community order and told to complete 100 hours of unpaid work in the coming year.

Judge Christopher Morgan also told her and the other 14 to stay away from Stansted for 12 months under the terms of an exclusion order – unless they were travelling via the airport.

Three of the protesters were given nine-month prison sentences, suspended for 18 months, and ordered to carry out unpaid community work.

One was given a 12-month community order with a “rehabilitation requirement” rather than unpaid work on the ground of ill health.

The protesters, known as the Stansted 15, were convicted in December at the end of a nine-week trial at Chelmsford Crown Court and sentenced yesterday (Wednesday 6 February).

The halted a flight to repatriate people from British detention centres to Ghana and Nigeria.

After their appeal was lodged last month, lawyer Raj Chada, a partner at solicitors Hodge, Jones and Allen, which represents them, said that they had been convicted under counter-terrorism legislation passed in response to the Lockerbie bombing in 1988.

The activists said that they were “guilty of nothing more than intervening to prevent harm”.

The judge said that in normal circumstances a prison sentence would have been justified but he accepted that their intentions were to demonstrate.

He said that they were still guilty of a serious offence which had forced the closure of the airport for 80 minutes and forced 19 inbound flights to be diverted elsewhere. The court was told that this had cost innocent parties more than £1 million.

Fourteen of the Stansted 15 outside Chelmsford Crown Court on the first day of their trial on Monday 1 October 2018

The judge said that there was no way of knowing if everything that they had carried with them had been recovered from the airport grounds.

This mattered, he said, because “foreign object” debris – even small items – could have a huge impact on aircraft safety.

He cited the Concorde crash in Paris in 2000, caused by a small piece of metal that had fallen from an aircraft.

The judge also told them that they had caused a fire risk by carrying with them metal objects capable of causing “a catastrophic fire”.

Dexter Dias, mitigating for the protesters, said that two of the people who were due to be deported had since had their cases reviewed and were now allowed to stay in Britain.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Rodge says:
    7 years ago

    Should have gone to prison… This country is too weak on these pathetic losers

    Reply
    • Joe Stains says:
      7 years ago

      Naughty wicked miscreants such as these deluded fools should be beaten with a stick in a most hard and forceful manner.

      And then imprisoned.

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Judge sentences deportation flight protester from Brighton

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

New bus route to start next month

Opposition overlooked and left in the dark, says councillor

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Hospital marks £860m project’s helipad and cancer milestones

Missing boy found safe

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

24 May 2026
Here’s a night out not to be missed!

Here’s a night out not to be missed!

24 May 2026
Irvine Welsh, Men In Love, Charleston Festival, 23rd May 2026

Irvine Welsh charms the Charleston Festival

24 May 2026
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion reach Europe despite losing to Man Utd

Brighton and Hove Albion reach Europe despite losing to Man Utd

by Ed Elliot - PA
24 May 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Manchester United 3 The Seagulls have qualified for European football for only the second time...

All to play for as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United

All to play for as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United

by Frank le Duc
24 May 2026
0

Fabian Hürzeler has made three changes from last week as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United in the final...

Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Load More
February 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman dies as car and motorbikes crash 24 May 2026
  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News