• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Cannabis restaurant files passed to the CPS

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 13 Dec, 2019 at 12:12PM
A A
4
Cannabis restaurant files passed to the CPS


An investigation into whether the UK’s first cannabis restaurant broke the law by selling food with cannabis extracts has been passed to prosecutors to decide whether to bring charges.

Meanwhile, the owners are attempting to sell the Duke Street unit, with another restaurant lined up to take it on subject to planning permission.

Canna Kitchen was one of three premises raided by Brighton police in May, along with the Hemp Life head shop in London Road and a home address in North Place.

At the Duke Street restaurant, police seized what they described as a “significant quantity of herbal cannabis” – but which the owners insisted was legal industrial hemp.

The restaurant closed its doors while it took legal advice, but a planning application lodged this month says it is selling up.

Following the raids, A 32-year-old man attended a voluntary interview under caution on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of class B drugs on August 15.

Brighton and Hove News understands he is Sammy Ben-Rabah the director of SSB Evolution Ltd, the company which ran Canna Kitchen.

Police said the restaurant owners fully co-operated with the investigation.

A 36-year-old woman was also arrested in May during the North Place raid on suspicion of supplying Class B drugs – reportedly CBD flowers and oil – and released the following day under police investigation.

This week, police said she remains under investigation while the Crown Prosecution Service considers the file.

The main issue the CPS will consider is likely to be whether products containing CBD – an extract of cannabis – are legal or not.

The law is clear that the sale of the hallucinogenic component of cannabis, THC, is illegal.

What is unclear is whether cannabis extracts with trace levels, if any, of THC are permissible.

A Home Office guidance note released before the raids states that it is very difficult to isolate pure CBD and that many products don’t accurately disclose their contents.

The planning application is to change the use of the unit from retail to restaurant – a previous application made when Canna Kitchen first opened in December last year was refused on a technicality.

Officers also said that the restaurant had not demonstrated that the change of use would not lead to more noise and smells.

The application, lodged by SSB Evolution Ltd which ran Canna Kitchen, says: “A potential buyer has been found and would be seeking to use the building as a café/restaurant.

It adds: “There have been no significant complaints from previous use as a café/restaurant.

“The existing kitchen extraction will be retained and operates at low volumes at second-floor level that causes no notable harm to the surrounding area.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Pingback: Brighton and Hove News » Cannabis restaurant files passed to the CPS – Weedmain Blog
  2. Pingback: UK: Remember Canna Kitchen Brighton ? – CBDSFACTS
  3. budcbd says:
    7 years ago

    THE GOVERNMENT, need to get off the fence and make the laws clear on low-level thc products! When big companies like holland & Barrett and Audi sell it is OKAY but when mom and pop trys to get in on the action its all of a sudden not permissible! Hope these guys get everything dropped and the Lawmakers “make” things clear to the public on cbd products!

    Reply
  4. Rob says:
    7 years ago

    what a waste of already scarce police and resource

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Cannabis restaurant files passed to the CPS

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
December 2019
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News