• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Plans for flats next to music venue dropped

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 7 Aug, 2023 at 4:00PM
A A
4
Car hire premises to make way for holiday flats and shops

Plans for holiday flats next to one of Brighton’s best-known live music venues have been dropped after hundreds of people protested.

Live music fans were afraid the holiday lets in Trafalgar Street could later be turned into flats whose residents could complain about noise coming from the Prince Albert next door.

After more than a thousand people objected, site owner Patricia Campings had the plans redrawn to replace the flats with more commercial space, which could either be used as offices or shops.

In a summary of amendments, planning agent Luke Austin from Whaleback Planning and Design said: “The holiday let units have been removed from the scheme.

“The entire building will now be commercial with commercial units on the top floor in replacement of the removed holiday lets. All units will be Class E commercial and the end user has not been confirmed yet.

“The overall development provides a range of sizes and layouts to cater for a number of potential occupants falling under the Class E use class.

“A commercial building located alongside a live music venue is an acceptable arrangement and would accord with the mixed character of uses within this central area of the city.

“The scale and bulk of the building has been reduced to the second and third stories to the rear, including removal of two sections of the building at second floor level, narrowing of the third storey and a reduction in the ridge height, thereby reducing the overall scale and shifting the bulk away from neighbouring windows.”

The plot of land, at 47 Trafalgar Street, is on sale for £2.25 million.

After other Brighton music venues closed following noise complaints from new neighbours in the past, campaigners successfully fought for the council to introduce planning rules to prevent this happening again.

The newly-adopted rule, known as “agent of change” principle, says that any developments next to live music venues must include appropriate measures to prevent noise complaints being made.

However campaigners fear that new national planning rules which make it easier for commercial buildings to get a change of use to residential could allow the building to become flats by the back door after permission for this scheme is granted.

The plans, originally submitted in August last year, were amended in February, after 1,237 people had objected, including Brighton Pavilion MP Caroline Lucas.

They were amended in February to remove the holiday lets.

The plans were readvertised this week with the amendments after more drawings were submitted.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Paul+Paul says:
    3 years ago

    Can common sense prevail? Obviously not including the mind boggling price of the site.

    Reply
  2. Sarah says:
    3 years ago

    Fantastic news but they’re now looking just round the corner next to some other amazing venues – same problem, different street. Brighton, we need a better plan than this!

    Reply
    • Mark Stack says:
      3 years ago

      Sarah please read my post against the article. The Albert is still very very vulnerable.

      Reply
  3. Mark Stack says:
    3 years ago

    This does not remove that option to change these Class E commercial units into residential units.

    Under new government planning laws the “commercial unit” owners will not need planning permission from the council to “convert” them once planning permission is granted. As I understand it, this can be done even before they start to build the commercial units.

    Without a planning permission requirement there will be no need soundproof the “commercial units” nor the residential homes they become.

    Due to (what I consider a loophole in) the Environment Act, any new residents will then be able make a noise complaint to the council and the council then legally bound to serve a noise abatement notices on The Prince Albert. That will result in its closure.

    Let’s be honest here, the retail lease market is not in a healthy state. The location is 30 seconds from the train station. They wont be able to resist “converting” them into residential flats for London commuters (and make a killing in the process).

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Plans for flats next to music venue dropped

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
August 2023
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News