• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Brighton dog walker admits ‘sadistic’ attack on spaniel he was looking after

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 21 Mar, 2024 at 3:00PM
A A
9

A Brighton dog walker has admitted shoving a spaniel called Sam against a wall in a “sadistic” fit of rage.

Luke Cobb was caught on a security camera picking up Stanley and repeatedly thrusting his face into a brick wall.

Today, the 38-year-old pleaded guilty to a single count of animal cruelty. He was told he now faces up to a year in prison.

Prosecuting, Megan Attree said: “The police received a number of reports from concerned members of hte public about a video which was going around on social media of a dog being attacked by the defendant.

“The defendant was the owner of a dog walking company called Harvey’s Walks.

“The video shows one male and a dog which appears to be scared and walking away from him.

“The defendant then picks up the dog by its neck and is seen dangling as he carries him. He then walks towards a wall and repeatedly smashes the dog two or three times for no apparent reason, just smashing the dog’s head against the wall.

“The dog could be seen to struggle as the defendant walks off with it in his arms.

“The defendant’s partner contacted Michael Gibbs who owned Stan to say you need to come and pick him up because my partner isn’t very well.

“There was some apologies on social media. He said: ‘I understand by now, you have seen that there is a video of me going around social media, where I lose my temper with a dog who has bolted from me down the road, and in it, you can see that I push the dog up against the wall in anger after he tried to bite me. I have no excuse for my behaviour.

“‘I lost my temper and made a terrible mistake.'”

When Stan was taken to the vets, he winced as his collar was removed, and that evening, he was still wincing and pulling away from his owners.

Ms Attree said: “The police took statements from other people whose dogs have been cared for by the defendant and behaviour changes as a result.”

She said a reviewing lawyer said the offence was particularly serious because of the “sadistic behaviour, significant force and significant betrayal of trust.”

She said: “He had dogs in his care which were entrusted to him by people paying him for a service believing they would be better cared for than if they were left at home or in a different circumstance.”

Defending, Mark Charnley said Cobb, of Ashurst Road, Moulsecoomb, deeply regretted the “moment of madness” from November last year.

He said: “The defendant was accepted blame from the very start. He sent an apology to all his clients shortly after the whole thing blew up.

“His business is over. It’s finished. Hopefully the dog will forget quickly, but he will never forget. It’s had a massive effect on his professional and personal life.

“People have made it very clear what they think about him on social media and in person.”

Chair of the bench Alison Musker ordered a pre-sentence report and adjourned the case for sentencing until 31 May.

She requested a note be put on the file recommending the sentencing bench watch the video.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 9

  1. Melanie Bolingbroke says:
    2 years ago

    I hope they do watch video of what he done to that poor defenceless dog. I hope the judge sentences him on the basis of that poor dog and there owners. If he had done this to my dog it would be me in court. I hope that man suffers for a long time for what he has done.

    Reply
  2. Sick of it all says:
    2 years ago

    The absolute maggot,that wasn’t a one off situation, he just got caught,I hope you get your karma inside mate,you cruel hearted slime, get back in the sea where you belong.

    Reply
    • Kathy Simpson says:
      2 years ago

      Evil person. Spaniels are such loving dogs. I’m sure the owners of the dogs are devastated.
      I use a dog walker and she is so kind.

      Reply
  3. Sick of it all says:
    2 years ago

    The absolute maggot,that wasn’t a one off situation, he just got caught,I hope you get your karma inside mate,you cruel hearted slimeball

    Reply
  4. Kemptown mum says:
    2 years ago

    Vile creature, he lost the border terrier that went missing last summer 🙁 vile excuse of a human being. how anyone could do this is beyond me, poor dogs and poor owners putting their trust in him!

    Reply
  5. Helen Ingledes says:
    2 years ago

    It won’t take long for the well-endowed sodomites in prison to take it in turns to practice their art on him when they find out what he did.

    Reply
  6. Lisa Norris says:
    2 years ago

    How long has this despicable individual got away with these atrocities ? Law needs to change about dog walkers immediately. Sadly he’s not the only one in Brighton. Karma is hopefully coming.

    Reply
  7. Maureen Mcallister says:
    2 years ago

    I walk dogs and also mind dogs and I have3 cats , I couldn’t watch video , thank god someone reported him and how long has this went on , imagine leaving your fur babies to this torture

    Reply
  8. Alliballi says:
    2 years ago

    What a vile human being and bully. I don’t believe for one second this was the first time he’d ever mistreated dogs in his so called care. Thank goodness he got caught out. Just shocking to watch.

    Reply

Leave a Reply to Melanie Bolingbroke Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Café can become gym after plans approved

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Brighton dog walker admits ‘sadistic’ attack on spaniel he was looking after

Man found dead in house this morning

Greengrocer leaves market over plans to reduce opening hours

Restored cast iron returns to Madeira Terrace for reassembly

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Brutal rapist targeted woman he met on night out in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

19 February 2026
Please Do Not Touch Preview

Please Do Not Touch Preview

19 February 2026
Ida Barr’s Slipped Disco Returns to Brighton

Ida Barr’s Slipped Disco Returns to Brighton

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
March 2024
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News