• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Tough decisions steer council finances into the black

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Thursday 19 Jun, 2025 at 9:54AM
A A
11
Council charges could soar as city faces budget ‘crunch point’

Hove Town Hall - Picture by N Chadwick from www.geograph.org.uk

Tight spending controls enabled Brighton and Hove City Council to end the past financial year in the black by just over £1 million.

The council said last summer that it was on course for a £10 million deficit for the financial year which ended on Monday 31 March.

But the Labour administration imposed a hiring freeze and the council received more money than expected from business rates and benefited from “significant one-off resources”.

As a result, the council’s £205 million general fund budget underspent by almost £1.1 million.

Deputy leader Jacob Taylor said that tough decisions had been required but they had paid off and the underspend would help replenish the council’s “working balance” – or reserves.

Details of the financial outturn are contained in a report to the council’s cabinet which is due to meet at Hove Town Hall on Thursday 26 June.

Councillor Jacob Taylor

The report said that the council planned to make savings of £23.6 million last year but £4.7 million was not achieved and that would put pressure on the budget this year.

The budget passed four months ago, in February, for the current financial year included a further £16 million in cuts and savings.

Some demand-led services were overspent such as the budget for temporary housing which was £6.5 million. But a £2.6 million overspend took the total to £9.1 million as the council put up a growing number of homeless people.

The report to the cabinet said that the high and increasing number of people requiring help meant that there was a risk that this service could continue to overspend.

The council had expected that emergency nightly booked housing would be needed for 160 households a night. But since April last year the council had supported an average of 337 households a night – more than double the number in 2023-24.

The report said: “The underlying trend is that the number of households using nightly booked accommodation is increasing due to changes in the private rented sector.

“Over the past year, many landlords have exited the market due to cumulative external events beyond the control of the local authority such as increases in landlord taxes, rising mortgage rates and the threat of impending legislation.

“The private rented sector is also the greatest means of preventing homelessness.”

The report said that the council’s city operations directorate underspent by £3.8 million. Income comes from parking charges, planning application fees and venues – all requiring a healthy economy, commercial activity and buoyant visitor numbers.

The improved performance was linked to the economic recovery after the coronavirus pandemic measures, with several areas of activity returning to pre-pandemic levels.

But parking revenues including permit fees fell short by £357,000 and the council made £300,000 less than budgeted from planning applications despite higher fees.

Thirty out of 55 maintained schools in Brighton and Hove, including special schools and nurseries, finished the year over budget.

The council-run schools, including faith schools but not academies, spent almost £211 million last year compared with an income of almost £209 million.

This left the council potentially exposed to some of the overspend of almost £2 million. The outcome was £680,000 worse than budgeted.

The report flagged up issues in several service areas

  • More pupils in mainstream schools had more expensive education, health and care plans (EHCP) requiring top-up funding of £336,000
  • More children were placed in special schools than expected, pushing the service over budget by £262,000
  • The early retirement bill was £178,000 over budget
  • The budget for bespoke tuition for children with medical needs was increased by £250,000 but was still overspent by a further £176,000 because of “a continued significant increase in the number of pupils” receiving this support

The cabinet is due to meet at 2pm on Thursday 26 June at Hove Town Hall. The meeting is scheduled to be webcast.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 11

  1. ClareMac says:
    1 year ago

    Lots of back slapping, but at what human cost.The council’s actual press release says “there are still significant challenges ahead. 2025/26 is likely to continue to be challenging due to our low reserves, pressures on services and further savings to meet.” That last bit sounds like cuts to me.

    We’re seeing austerity mark 2 under this Labour government and a council quite happy to implement cuts at will. Nationally Labour have targeted their cuts at the most vulnerable (eg winter fuel allowance targeting pensioners and currently threatening to remove disability benefits from people who need support). Councillors can gloat if they like, but I’m personally concerned about the choices they are making and who they target when they impose cuts.

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      1 year ago

      I don’t think that is an entirely unfair statement, Clare. I can certainly see how much it has cost to balance the books, and even with the warning, it affectedmanyf people. Rather than austerity mk.2, I think this is more the aftermath of the original Tory austerity. As many of us have commented before, councils have had to do more with less, and Brighton has had difficult issues to deal with – not the worst compared to some, but certainly not great.

      I do think they’ve played a good hand with a stacked deck, at least locally. I want to see an area that has more local control, so I’m currently beating the devolution drum a bit at the moment. I can see a version of it that targets a lot of the major challenges within Brighton.

      I’m under no delusion that there is more to do, and I feel I’m pragmatic enough to know it is not going to all be sunshine and rainbows, but I’m convinced that bold changes, even with the associated pains, are going to be much better in the long-term compared to idle ticking over.

      Reply
      • ClareMac says:
        1 year ago

        Just reads like cuts cuts cuts Benjamin. I’m pragmatic (it’s not just you), but targeting the elderly and disabled, as Labour appear to be doing with their policies, and who will bear the brunt of the “associated pains” you refer to, is nothing to be applauded in my book.

        Reply
        • Benjamin says:
          1 year ago

          I agree with that sentiment. Balancing the books by pushing those with the narrowest shoulders and the weakest financial backs doesn’t sit well with me, either.

          Reply
        • D smith says:
          1 year ago

          Well, you say disabled. There is a hell of a lot of people on pip who are drug addicts and alcoholics. From personal knowledge pip only helps them buy more of what they shouldn’t be buying. They are left with zero clinical help but are given vast sums to live on… A much more pragmatic approach would be to cut pip to all that have addictions and to then spend that money on actual support.
          What alcoholic is going to spend £20 a week getting a cleaner in, what alcoholic is going to spend £80 on an hour’s counselling… The only people who benefit from this are the offline across the road.

          Reply
          • Benjamin says:
            1 year ago

            Well that’s part of the changes D! Reducing the amount of free cash given to people, and more vouchers and purchases of the specific things needed, specifically to stop that.

    • Dino says:
      1 year ago

      Except the winter fuel cuts were not targeted at poor pensioners but wealthy ones who don’t need the tax break. The tax break that would be much better spent on the generation who’s housing costs are quadruple those of their OAP peers, who owns 3 + houses as well as having massive pension pots to draw from. Equally I’m guessing you were expecting labour to wave a magic wand overnight and undo 14 years of pillage and plunder from the conservatives. Unfortunately they trashed the economy so badly what with Brexit, bad COVID policy then icing on top, lizz truss, all while stealing from the treasury to help out their mates… . It may take a few years to feel the benefits of competency to emerge.

      Reply
      • Benjamin says:
        1 year ago

        It wasn’t implemented well either way, the calculation was rough and a cliff edge. Even doing it via tax bindings would have been better. Also, the timing question was not good. It could have been done in the Summer to give people a chance to adjust and prepare.

        Reply
  2. Valerie says:
    1 year ago

    The councils finance officers are to be congratulated!

    Reply
  3. Nige says:
    1 year ago

    Refreshing to hear B&Hs Labour administration recognise that rising landlord taxation, mortgage rates and the incoming Renters Rights Bill have driven landlords out of the market, while the central Labour government remain in complete denial.

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      1 year ago

      Personally, I don’t think landlords leaving makes any impactful difference on the net challenges in Brighton. When landlords leave the market, those homes don’t vanish. The more pressing issue is not landlords exiting but properties being pulled from the housing market entirely to become full-time short-term lets. Estimates suggest there are 2,000 to 6,000 such properties in the city. Many are larger homes that could house families or key workers, but instead serve weekend tourists.

      Landlords also often outbid first-time buyers, especially in high-demand areas. Reducing buy-to-let activity can ease pressure on prices and allow more people to own rather than rent.

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Tough decisions steer council finances into the black

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

by Edward Elliot - PA
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 4 Aston Villa 0 Jack Hinshelwood struck twice in two first-half minutes as a rampant Brighton...

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Load More
June 2025
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News