• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Old school could become council housing

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Saturday 18 Oct, 2025 at 4:00AM
A A
8
Proposed school closures go out to consultation

St Peter's Community Primary School in Portslade

The site of an old primary school has been earmarked for council housing as Brighton and Hove City Council looks to tackle rising homelessness, a long waiting list and a shortage of affordable homes.

St Peter’s Primary School, in St Peter’s Road, Portslade, could be converted into 10 affordable homes, according to a report to the council’s cabinet on Thursday (16 October).

The report set out a proposal to raise £50 million in capital receipts – from selling assets such as property – by 2030.

The approach would reduce maintenance costs and enable the council to help more people in need of housing.

When the closure of St Peter’s was proposed two years ago, it had the lowest number of children in reception to year 6 of all primary schools in Brighton and Hove. It was also more than £200,000 in the red.

At the cabinet meeting, the Labour deputy leader of the council, Jacob Taylor, said that closing the school had been a hard decision but pupil numbers were falling then – and still were – because the city was “unaffordable” and families were moving out.

The birth rate in Brighton and Hove fell by 29 per cent from 2013 to 2022 and only two other council areas in England had a lower birth rate.

Councillor Taylor said that private renters were spending nearly half their wages on rent, making Brighton and Hove the fourth least affordable council area in the whole country.

He said: “We had to make some difficult decisions to close some of our schools because the numbers aren’t there.

“I am pleased, in a sense, that we are now going to consider transferring St Peter’s School to our ‘housing revenue account’ to potentially build new social and affordable homes for our residents in that part of town.”

The council’s families, children and wellbeing directorate has no plans to use the site for education and any change of use will require consent from the government.

South Portslade resident Emily Brewer, who campaigned to save the school, was not surprised to hear that the council was considering the site for housing.

She said: “I understand the need for social housing but that site is not the best place for it. It’s a densely populated area on a very busy road with services like health already stretched.

“The parking is already impossible so I hope they consider things like permits which are needed.

“I wonder where they hope to school the children from the families that move there? My daughter’s school which is the nearest one to that location was oversubscribed last year.

“I do hope they consider retaining the World War 2 bunker as well. There is a huge amount of history attached to that building, stretching back over 100 years.”

The site has not yet been valued, with the proposal still in its early stages.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 8

  1. Lea says:
    4 months ago

    I think it’s a disgrace to our children and the community at large. This is not acceptable. The country has had enough. Our children are the future for tomorrow we really need to be a good example!

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      4 months ago

      No, what’s not acceptable is an empty building not being used when it could be used to tackle homelessness. Not doing anything would be the disgrace to the community and children at large.

      Reply
      • Stan Reid says:
        4 months ago

        Spot on Benjamin, too many trying to sideline anything and everything for reasons unknown.

        Reply
  2. Joe Brown says:
    4 months ago

    I’d rather the building used for SEND provision or for those who can’t cope in large school settings. Keep it in education so it can be reused if numbers grow again. Schools are struggling to meet the needs of so many kids who would do better in specialist small settings.

    Reply
    • Diane Ruff says:
      4 months ago

      My mother went to the school in 1912 .and my children in the1970.s.It was a brilliant school but the fashion seems to be academies now unfortunately.

      Reply
  3. Nathan Adler says:
    4 months ago

    Better something done with the site than left empty. School admission numbers are forecast to fall in Brighton for at least the next 5 years and we already have some schools that are struggling by closing classes. There is capacity in the system if a sudden rise occurs without this site. I do like the idea of another SEND site but extra funding would need to be secured and the more modern and central St Barts site would be the better option.

    Reply
  4. Sarah says:
    4 months ago

    Theres always SOMEONE crying outrage when we’re looking after the less fortunate.
    The building is empty and unused and, most importantly, unfit for purpose in a modern world.

    Reply
  5. ElaineB says:
    4 months ago

    I hope it is a sensitive conversion fully respectful of the history of the school.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Man found dead in house this morning

Mugger wanted after robbery in Brighton street

Old school could become council housing

Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

Car showroom to become supermarket

Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn

Moped rider held on suspicion of drug dealing

Woman guilty of stealing hostage memorial

Suspected stalker charged with threatening to burn down woman’s home

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Mystery Musicals Bottomless Brunch – Komedia Brighton

Mystery Musicals Bottomless Brunch – Komedia Brighton

17 February 2026
The Ballad of Johnny & June – The Johnny Cash Musical

The Ballad of Johnny & June – The Johnny Cash Musical

17 February 2026
Mischa Barton makes her UK stage debut in Double Indemnity

Mischa Barton makes her UK stage debut in Double Indemnity

17 February 2026
Get ‘Down In The Park’ with Gary Numan

Get ‘Down In The Park’ with Gary Numan

17 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
4

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
October 2025
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
  • Man dies in crash this afternoon 16 February 2026
  • Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn 16 February 2026
  • Man, 63, charged after pub stabbing 16 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News