• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Brighton man found guilty of double murder

by Frank le Duc
Friday 24 Oct, 2025 at 11:50AM
A A
0
Murder victims’ family pay tribute to ‘funny and loving’ couple

Josh and Chloe Bashford

A jury has convicted a Brighton man of murdering a couple in their home in Newhaven.

Derek Martin admitted killing Joshua and Chloe Bashford but said that it was manslaughter, claiming diminished responsibility, blaming a mental disorder.

Martin, 67, from Moulsecoomb, killed Chloe, 30, in a fit of anger – and when her husband, 33, arrived home shortly afterwards, Martin murdered him too.

Derek Martin

The jury at Brighton Crown Court was told that the defendant was close to the couple, regarding Chloe as his step-daughter although they were not related.

The murders left four children orphaned.

Martin walked into Brighton Police Station, in John Street, on the evening of Friday 9 June 2023 and told the person on the front counter: “I’ve killed two people.”

Initially, he went back outside to speak on the phone before officers came to speak to him.

The jury was shown CCTV clips of Martin going about his normal routine before he turned violent, clubbing Chloe with a hammer and stabbing her repeatedly.

He was seen ordering a drink at the Costa coffee shop, in Newhaven, visiting Sainsbury’s with Chloe and going for breakfast with her at the Stonehouse restaurant, in Peacehaven.

Later, they returned together to the Bashford family home, in Lewes Road, Newhaven, where Chloe and Josh lived with their four children.

In a police interview, Martin said that he had been cleaning a window at the house when he “just flipped” during a row about money with Chloe.

He struck her over the head with a hammer then stabbed her to death.

Martin said that Josh, 33, arrived home a short while later and saw him with a knife in his hand. Josh ran upstairs but was chased by Martin who repeatedly stabbed him then strangled him to death.

The 67-year-old, of Moulsecoomb Way, Brighton, then changed his clothes, picked up the couple’s four children from school and took them to both Costa and McDonald’s in Newhaven.

During this time, he discarded Chloe’s mobile phone in bushes near Sainsbury’s.

He then took the children to their grandmother’s house, in Brighton, before buying some beers from a shop in Whitehawk which he drank on the seafront.

Shortly afterwards, he handed himself in at the police station.

Officers went to the Bashford family home where they found the two bodies – and Martin was arrested.

The jury was told that Martin and Chloe became close a couple of years before the murders. Martin knew Chloe because he was previously married to her mother, Elaine Sturges, but they had divorced some years before she was born.

While he was remanded in custody, Sussex Police issued a public appeal to help find Chloe’s mobile phone. Martin saw the appeal and passed a hand-written note to a prison guard which confirmed where he had discarded the device.

This contained vital evidence which was subsequently used in the trial.

A note written by Derek Martin

Martin was remanded in custody today (Friday 24 October). He is due to be sentenced by the trial judge, Dame Justine Thornton, known as Mrs Justice Thornton, on Thursday 6 November.

Detective Chief Inspector Kimball Edey, of the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team, said: “I would like to thank Chloe and Josh’s children and their families for their patience during this investigation.

“It goes without saying how sorry I am that they have had to suffer the loss of Chloe and Josh and I am in awe at the courage and strength they have all shown following the events of Friday 9 June 2023.

“The result today will, sadly, not change what happened, but I hope that it will enable them to end this chapter and move onto the next.

“I would also like to thank the members of the public who have supported this investigation.

“Finally, I commend the many members of staff and police officers who have worked tirelessly to help bring Derek Martin to justice.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton man found guilty of double murder

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters urge people to avoid dangerous aerosol trend

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Load More
October 2025
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News