• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Hove playing field campaigners take petition to Downing Street

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 15 May, 2013 at 11:27PM
A A
0

A campaign group trying to preserve a playing field in Hove handed in a petition to 10 Downing Street yesterday (Tuesday 14 May).

The group is trying to prevent a school from being built on BHASVIC field in Old Shoreham Road, Hove.

A government agency, the Education Funding Agency, wants to use the site for the King’s School, a new Church of England Secondary School.

Hands Off Our Field submitted the petition, with more than 4,000 signatures, yesterday afternoon. It is also trying to obtain “village green” status for the field to give it greater protection from development.

The campaigners were accompanied to Downing Street by Brighton Pavilion MP Caroline Lucas who tabled an early day motion in the House of Commons on Monday (13 May).

The motion said: “That this House is opposed to the proposal by the Secretary of State for Education to concrete over a significant section of a playing field used by Cardinal Newman Catholic School, Brighton, Hove and Sussex VI Form College (BHASVIC) and Stanford Junior and Infant Schools, to provide a site for a new free school; notes that the playing fields are used daily by the schools and local community; also notes the schools’ joint statement that the plan would severely impair the institutions’ provision for sports and permanently remove a vital green space in the heart of a densely populated city; further notes that removing this field would leave the infant and junior schools with only a concrete playground; believes that this plan flies in the face of the UK’s Olympic legacy; further notes the village green application pending on this site; regrets the appalling lack of communication with the four schools from the Education Funding Agency; backs the notice of motion passed by Brighton and Hove City Council opposing the imposition of new school sites by central government; applauds the strong local resistance to this proposal which rides roughshod over the community’s wishes; and calls on the Secretary of State to withdraw it immediately.”

Dr Lucas said: “This is a government which likes to preach about localism and devolving power to local decision makers yet here it is barging into Brighton and Hove with plans to concrete over a piece of much-valued land against the wishes of the local community.

“The Education Funding Agency, the government body which chose the site for the free school, seems to have completely disregarded the fact that this land isn’t sitting vacant.

“The field is used by more than 4,000 students at four separate schools and is much valued by the community.

“While there is a pressing need for more school places, imposing a free school development on existing sports fields is not the answer.

“Rather than riding roughshod over the wishes of local people, (Education Secretary) Michael Gove must now drop the misguided plans and work with the local authority to find a more suitable location.”

Green councillor Ruth Buckley, who proposed the council motion last week, said: “Through its ill-considered ‘land transfer scheme’, the government has effectively allowed the Secretary of State for Education to propose a land grab on this much-loved field against the wishes of the local schools, the community, sports teams and even the local Conservative MP.

“This imposition by central government is completely unacceptable and, as the Green administration made clear in our motion to council last week, we believe that local authorities are far better placed to identify suitable sites for educational purposes.”

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

Hove playing field campaigners take petition to Downing Street

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Hospital marks milestone in £62m A&E modernisation

School building to become temporary charity hub

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Mogwai offer ‘Happy Songs For Happy People’ at Brighton concert

Mogwai offer ‘Happy Songs For Happy People’ at Brighton concert

22 February 2026
Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

22 February 2026
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
May 2013
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News