• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Restaurant could lose licence in row over noisy fan

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Thursday 21 May, 2026 at 12:01AM
A A
0
Restaurant could lose licence in row over noisy fan

A popular restaurant risks losing its drinks licence after a neighbour brought a formal review after complaining that its extractor fan was causing a “statutory nuisance”.

Rita Congiu asked Brighton and Hove City Council to review the licence for Cin Cin Italian Bar and Kitchen, in Western Road, Hove, last month.

The request was made on the grounds of the protection of children from harm and the prevention of public nuisance.

The council has since received letters in support of the business from three neighbours and a nearby business.

A council licensing panel, made up of three councillors, is due to consider next week what steps, if any, it should take to ensure the premises complies with the rules.

A report to the panel said that a noise abatement notice had been served on the business in January by the council’s environmental protection team after visits to neighbouring properties in response to complaints.

The report described a visit to one property, saying: “When we stepped inside the complainant’s residence the noise was tonal, constant, and filled the room.

“We determined that the noise from the extraction system was invasive and detrimental to health and the enjoyment of their residence.”

Ms Congiu said that a commercial extractor fan serving the restaurant had resulted in “persistent and intrusive noise” since it was installed in April 2025.

She said that the noise was a “low-pitched, sharp mechanical humming” and louder than normal traffic levels, going on for between 12 to 14 hours a day, five days a week, including Saturdays and occasionally Sundays.

Ms Congiu said: “The noise is so intrusive that I cannot use the bedroom during the day.

“I have to wait until the fan is off to go to sleep – and I cannot sleep as long as I want on Saturdays as the vent wakes me up in the morning.

“This now has a significant impact on my mental health and I am starting to suffer from headaches more often than before. It often gives me anxiety and affects my mood on a daily basis.”

She asked the council to consider suspending the licence for an unspecified duration, modifying the licence or adding new conditions. The council could go as far as to revoke the licence altogether.

Another neighbour, Hidden Hearing, the business next to Cin Cin, said that it had noticed a droning or vibration noise affecting its premises.

The business said that a quiet and stable acoustic environment was essential in its soundproofed testing rooms.

The business added: “During hearing assessments, patients have queried the unexpected background noise and expressed concern as to whether it is something they should be perceiving which can understandably undermine confidence in the testing process.

“Additionally, staff working in these conditions for extended periods have reported discomfort including headaches.”

A neighbour, believed to be Vicky Whitehead, who lives behind the restaurant and whose details were redacted by the council, supported the review and raised concerns about the effect on children as well as the wider neighbourhood.

Noise is coming into her flat even with the windows closed and soundproof curtains.

She said: “I’m highly concerned about how we will manage the temperature in our house in summer, particularly with a young child who is at risk of overheating as a baby.

“The street and garden are also unbearable to be in when the noise is very loud, as it is most evenings and increasingly in the daytime.”

Three neighbours who supported the application for a review said that there were no issues with the previous extractor fan.

The council’s environmental protection team received the first complaint about noise from the fan on Wednesday 7 May 2025, less than a month after it was installed.

People kept noise diaries and officials visited before the case was closed last September because of a lack of suitable evidence.

But when a seventh complaint was made in December and officials visited the complainant, they could hear a low droning or humming noise.

The technical officer for environmental protection, whose details were redacted by the council, said: “When we stepped inside the complainant’s residence, the noise was tonal, constant and filled the room.

“We determined that the noise from the extraction system was invasive and detrimental to health and the enjoyment of their residence.”

A second visit followed in January, after writing to the owner of the restaurant, David Toscano, 48, and then, on Monday 19 January, the council issued a noise abatement notice. Cin Cin has lodged an appeal.

Cin Cin’s licence allows for drink sales from 10am to midnight from Monday to Saturday and from noon to 11.30pm on Sundays.

The company was approached for comment.

The review is due to start at 10am next Wednesday (27 May) and is scheduled to be webcast.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Sussex Police officer denies child sex offences and perverting justice

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Restaurant could lose licence in row over noisy fan

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

1,500 homes without water

Café given go ahead to sell beer and margaritas with takeaway meals

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Love Supreme Jazz Festival announces full 2026 line-up

Love Supreme Jazz Festival announces full 2026 line-up

20 May 2026
PREVIEW: The Covetousness  – Brighton Fringe

REVIEW: Jinkun Chinese Arts’ The Covetousness and Chunxiang’s Schoolroom Prank

19 May 2026
Ballet Central hits Brighton

Ballet Central hits Brighton

19 May 2026
Olly Alexander, Goodbye To Berlin, Charleston Festival, Monday 25th May 2026

Olly Alexander Explore Christopher Isherwood

19 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
May 2026
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Apr    

RSS From Sussex News

  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News