• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 22 May, 2026 at 5:10PM
A A
3
Brighton’s pub ‘vandal’ has history of not paying freelancers

Charlie Southall handing out leaflets as his friends begin to hack tiles off the Montreal Arms

A man who was prosecuted for failing to put back tiles he ripped off a Brighton pub has asked a court to make the council pay his costs after the case was withdrawn.

Charlie Southall told Lewes Crown Court the council had been unreasonable to pursue the prosecution after a structural engineer it commissioned had said it was possible the tiles on the Montreal Arms would need to be removed for structural work to take place.

The engineer, a director of Stephen Wilson Partnership, had emailed the council on 3 July, 2025 to say that as far as he could see there was nothing to challenge in a report submitted by Mr Southall as part of one of several planning applications he has made in relation to the Albion Street pub.

This was a day before the court summons was sent to Mr Southall as a result of the council applying to the court for a summons on 14 May.

He also said both councillors and Brighton Pavilion MP Sian Berry had put inappropriate pressure on the council to prosecute him – adding that Ms Berry had subsequently apologised.

Representing Brighton and Hove City Council, Edward Elton said the SWP email was not expert opinion agreeing with Mr Southall’s position, but instead stated they did not have the necessary expertise to make that call.

“Councillors are responsible to their voters and they eel that very legitimately. MPs feel the same level of need and perhaps they all have an eye on the next local election when they would like those voters to vote for them again.

“It would be a calumny to suggest that anything except the prosecutors full code test [whether there was enough evidence and that the prosecution is in the public interest] would be in play here.”

He said after a planning inspector ruled the council had acted unreasonably in refusing an application in November, the council had taken advice from a planning barrister, and the prosecution had not stopped at that point, so it was not true to say the council did not review the prosecution once it was underway.

And he said in order to award costs, the judge would have to find not just that most or some prosecution lawyers would disagree with the decision to prosecute, but that it was “so starkly improper” that none would – a bar which was not reached here.

He also highlighted issues with some of the submissions Mr Southall had put before the court, adding: “I make no criticism of Mr Southall for not being a lawyer.

“The problem with Chat GPT is that it cannot always tell the difference between jurisdictions .. He cuts parts of sentenced repeatedly in his documents whereas if you have the full sentence …”

In responding to the points Mr Elton raised, Mr Southall took most umbrage at him pointing out that since the tiles had been removed in April 2022, no more work had been done.

He said: “That upsets me. I complied with the stop notice partway through work which was necessary to facilitate the works and all expert opinion has confirmed that.

“To claim that I could have continued to do the works is completely wrong.”

He said the building’s steels had been corroded by the sea air, and were now “turned into filo pastry”. He said: “There was a point where I thought I would have to put the tiles back on this failing structure, but my structural engineer said this would be a dangerous step.

“This prosecution should never have been brought. By that point, the council knew it was impossible to comply with the notice.”

Judge Mark van der Zwart said he would email his ruling to the parties by 26 June.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Hanover resident says:
    4 hours ago

    Whats a pub tile developer ?

    Reply
  2. B.swolloks says:
    3 hours ago

    Its ALBION HILL……Hanover resident!??

    Reply
  3. Hanover resident says:
    2 hours ago

    In english ?

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

New bus route to start next month

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 6: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 6: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
SORA pop up to bring a layer of class to Malmaison

SORA arrives at Malmaison Brighton Marina

22 May 2026
Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

22 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
May 2026
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Apr    

RSS From Sussex News

  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News