• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Extra floor planned for Brighton bungalow given mixed reception

by Frank le Duc
Friday 2 Nov, 2018 at 12:41PM
A A
0
Extra floor planned for Brighton bungalow given mixed reception

The Knight's family home

Dozens of people have written to support plans to add a second floor to a bungalow in The Park in Rottingdean.

But an official report to Brighton and Hove City Council Planning Committee recommends refusing the application.

Thirty-nine letters of support have been sent to the council, with only two letters of objection, which came from the neighbours living on either side.

They said that the remodelled building would be too bulky and close to the boundary.

One neighbour said: “The height and proximity of the side elevation against my boundary, together with the increased overlooking arising from full-height windows to the rear elevation, would be harmful to my property.”

Rottingdean Parish Council has also opposed the plans, saying that the building would be out of step with the area.

It would be too high, was poorly designed and would lead to the loss of amenity for neighbours, the parish council said.

But three other neighbours were among those to write letters of support, as were eight people living near by in Rottingdean.

A further 28 supporting comments come from people living in other parts of Brighton and Hove and the rest of Sussex, as well as four from other parts of the country.

The proposed design has an “art deco” feel, which is described as out of keeping by planning officers and direct neighbours but in keeping with the wider area by supporters.

Rottingdean Coastal Conservative councillor Mary Mears wrote in support of the application.

She said: “I believe the proposed development is suitable for the site in terms of size and is in keeping with the surrounding area.

“If you stand on the green in The Park you can clearly see the mix of different properties, from family houses to bungalows with roof extensions.”

A previous application with a balcony was refused in April for being too bulky, out of keeping with the street and overbearing to neighbours.

A report on the latest proposal, by planning officer Sven Rufus, said that the new application was similar to the one refused earlier this year.

His report said that the proposed scheme was too close to neighbours and out of character with the street.

The council’s Planning Committee is due to discuss the plans at Hove Town Hall next Wednesday (7 November). The meeting starts at 2pm and is open to the public.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Extra floor planned for Brighton bungalow given mixed reception

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
November 2018
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News