• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton bus fraudster fined

by Frank le Duc
Sunday 6 Jan, 2019 at 9:19PM
A A
2
Brighton bus fraudster fined

Jordan Rudwick

A Brighton man has been fined for trying to defraud a bus company by lodging a fake injury claim.

Jordan Rudwick

Jordan Rudwick, 23, of Wiltshire House, in Lavender Street, Brighton, pleaded guilty to the offence at Brighton Magistrates’ Court.

Rudwick was caught out by security camera footage, having pretended to be hurt in a minor collision involving a bus and his car when he was in a shop at the time.

Brighton and Hove Buses said: “At 10am on 5 November 2017, a Brighton and Hove Buses bus lightly clipped a parked black Volkswagen Golf outside Whitehawk Co-op, in Whitehawk Road. The bus driver immediately pulled over.

“The car owner, 23-year-old Jordan Rudwick, later sent an injury claim to Brighton and Hove Buses, claiming he suffered upper body, neck and back injuries as a result of the collision and that his injuries meant he had to take a day off work.

“But CCTV from the Co-op and from the bus clearly shows Mr Rudwick in the Co-op buying drinks when the minor collision occurred.

“When he saw the bus clip his car, Mr Rudwick dropped his bag of shopping and ran outside to exchange details with the bus driver.

“While Mr Rudwick popped into the shop, CCTV footage showed there was at least one passenger in the back of his car and the driver’s door was open.

“When Sussex Police interviewed Mr Rudwick in February 2018 he admitted he had lied about being in the car when it was struck by the bus. In April, police gave him a conditional caution and ordered him to pay £150 to charity. Brighton and Hove Buses chose the Clock Tower Sanctuary.

“But Sussex Police took the fraudster back to Brighton Magistrates’ Court on (Thursday) 20 December because Mr Rudwick hadn’t donated the money to charity. This time, the magistrate fined him £133 and ordered him to pay £115 court costs.”

Jordan Rudwick

Brighton and Hove Buses insurance and claims manager Ed Knight said: “He blatantly tried to defraud the bus company by claiming he had been injured when a bus clipped his car and then he failed to donate the money to the Clock Tower Sanctuary charity.

“Ultimately, if his claim had been settled, the money he would have received is money passengers have paid for their travel. If you or your family travel by bus, that money would’ve been given to him.

“All of our buses have CCTV and we investigate every single claim. I’m surprised that people think they can get away with these dishonest claims. We will continue to report all fraudulent claims to Sussex Police.”

Jordan Rudwick at the Whitehawk Co-op

Rudwick was fined £133 and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £30 and prosecution costs of £85, making £248 in total.

Four years ago Rudwick was before the courts for wasting police time after a four-hour rooftop stand-off in Western Road, Brighton.

In March 2018, a Brighton cab driver tried to defraud Brighton and Hove Buses by claiming a bus crashed into him, when in fact it was the other way around – and he ended up having to pay almost £7,000 in court costs.

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. BrightonReader says:
    7 years ago

    What an idiot.

    Not only does he try and defraud the bus company he then fails to comply with the police caution so he ends up in court, a guilty verdict and has to pay even more out in fines.

    Reply
  2. Mr_Witty says:
    7 years ago

    A well known man actually but they don’t care!..lol

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Sussex Police officer denies child sex offences and perverting justice

Brighton bus fraudster fined

New bus route to start next month

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
Bound By The Wind, Rotunda Bubble, May 24-25th 2026

Bound By The Wind Brings The Story of Mulan

21 May 2026
Godz, Head First Acrobats, Brighton Fringe, May 2026

Godz Of Brighton Fringe

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
January 2019
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News