• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Planning row rumbles on over height of Hove block of flats

by Frank le Duc
Friday 4 Jan, 2019 at 9:47PM
A A
2
Planning row rumbles on over height of Hove block of flats

Plans to add an extra floor to a block of flats are to go before councillors for a second time.

An application to build on top of 9 The Upper Drive was refused by Brighton and Hove City Council Planning Committee in May last year for being “against the spirit of the original scheme”.

The developer, Copsemill Properties, submitted an appeal against the previous application’s refusal. A decision from the Planning Inspectorate is awaited.

The new application is for extensions to the first and second floor, as well as for a third floor on top of the current building to create two new flats.

To address previous concerns, the new application reduces the size of the third floor so that it spans only half the block.

The ten-year-old block is lower than its neighbours, making it the same height as the family home next door.

Copsemill described its revised plans as maintaining the “overall character of the development” without disrupting the pattern of the existing development.

Neighbours have sent five letters of objection to the new scheme, raising concerns about the height, overlooking and loss of privacy.

One letter of objection on the council’s website described the extension as unneighbourly and out of keeping with the area.

It said: “The proposal is completely out of keeping with the character of the area and will have a detrimental impact on the street scene.

“The originally consented scheme was sympathetic to the fall in levels dropping from the Old Shoreham Road down the Upper Drive and this was reflected in the height of the buildings.

“The applicant is now seeking to increase the height with an unsightly block which would disrupt the pattern and form of development and the prevailing character of the street scene.”

Another neighbour is quoted on the council’s website as saying: “I don’t understand why this plan has been resubmitted as it was rejected.

“The effect of building work noise and pollution on such a restricted site will be detrimental to the health and wellbeing of the residents.”

The plans are due to go before the Planning Committee at Hove Town Hall next Wednesday (9 January). The meeting, which starts at 2pm, is open to the public.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Christopher Hawtree says:
    8 years ago

    A “planing row”? That sounds more like reducing than expanding!

    Reply
  2. Frank le Duc says:
    8 years ago

    Thanks for spotting the embarrassing error. Now corrected.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Planning row rumbles on over height of Hove block of flats

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
January 2019
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News