• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Could King Alfred agreement finally be signed this month?

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 22 Jan, 2019 at 12:41PM
A A
2
Hove businessman speaks about King Alfred dream for the first time since being chosen

An artist's impression of the proposed King Alfred site

An artist’s impression of the proposed King Alfred site

After years of negotiations, the first stages of redeveloping the King Alfred should get under way by the end of the month.

Brighton and Hove City Council’s Policy, Resources and Growth Committee is expected to approve a development agreement with Crest Nicholson when it meets on Thursday 24 January.

The committee is also expected to confirm the council’s £8 million contribution, as approved in January 2016.

Legal negotiations accelerated after a fiery meeting in December.

Conservative and Green councillors censured the Labour administration over delays in getting the development agreement signed.

Once the agreement is signed Crest Nicholson is expected to move the project on in a “timely fashion”.

It is expected to complete advance detailed design work, including a public consultation, leading to submission of a detailed planning application and then moving to building the mixed scheme of housing and leisure centre.

The original deal was supposed to be formally signed in the summer of 2016 – but after missing multiple deadlines a final deadline of Thursday 31 January was agreed at the Policy, Resources and Growth Committee meeting last month.

Councillors have unanimously agreed to consider bringing the £230 million project in-house if Crest Nicholson does not sign by the end of the month.

Negotiations have been going on for more than two years as the project is described as “financially challenging”.

The previous report to the committee when it met last month said that there was a funding gap of £29 million, based on the developer’s 20 per cent profit requirement and the same percentage of affordable housing.

The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government is contributing  £15.2 million towards the scheme.

In the report going before councillors on Thursday, the King Alfred is described as “at the end of its useful life”.

The report said: “Redevelopment of the King Alfred Leisure Centre, the city’s largest indoor sports facility, has been a priority for many years.

“The current centre is expensive to operate and maintain, fails to meet modern expectations and is nearing the end of its useful life.

“There is an urgent need for improved, modern and extended facilities serving the west of the city.”

It is 15 years since Frank Gehry was asked to create his vision for Hove and almost six years since the project last went out to tender.

The Policy, Resources and Growth Committee meets at Hove Town Hall on Thursday 24 January. The meeting, which starts at 4pm, is open to the public.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Rupert says:
    7 years ago

    About time. hove needs better facilities. People like me have paid over a mill for a house in hove and some of the facilities are poor. Good news. Now just need a few more decent restaurants – London standard please!

    Reply
  2. Jean Smith says:
    7 years ago

    Were it not for the involvement of Rob Starr, from Hove, I suspect many more people would have wanted the council to drop Crest Nicholson. They don’t appear to have covered themselves in glory this far.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton MP gives Burnham a boost

Pavement gullies for electric cars to be trialled

Could King Alfred agreement finally be signed this month?

Drowned women now identified, police believe

Labour picks candidate for Goldsmid by-election

Woman admits pulling fellow mum’s braids out and smashing glasses during school run attack

New Greggs update: A27 traffic chaos to end within 24 hours, says MP

Three women recovered off Brighton beach not believed to have attended nightclub

Lewes brewery plans taproom and pizza restaurant next to Prince Albert

i360 UFO delusions lead to bus stop attacks

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
credit - Claire Gaby

Tonight – Bert and Nasi

17 May 2026

MEAT – preview

17 May 2026
The Doris Show, Brighton Lantern Theatre, May 14-16th 2026

Doris Daydream Brings Nostalgia

17 May 2026

Norman’s Big Day Out

16 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex chase impressive first innings total at Somerset

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
16 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 22-1 (5.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (4 points) by 504 runs Centuries...

Load More
January 2019
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
  • Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome 13 May 2026
  • Driver arrested after woman dies in crash today 12 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News