• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Peaceful protester wins 8-year battle to have details removed from extremist database

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 24 Jan, 2019 at 11:38AM
A A
2
Peaceful protester wins 8-year battle to have details removed from extremist database

John Catt. Still taken from a video interview given to The Guardian

John Catt. Still taken from a video interview given to The Guardian

A 94-year-old Brighton protester has won an eight-year battle to get his details wiped from a police extremist database.

John Catt, of Shepherds Croft, Withdean, has been peacefully demonstrating since 1948, but was first placed on the National Domestic Extremism Database after taking part in Smash EDO demonstrations in Brighton in 2005.

The Smash EDO demos, against the EDO factory in Moulsecoomb which allegedly manufactured widgets used by Israeli bombers, often turned to violence, with one march through central Brighton ending with smashed windows and missiles being thrown. However, Mr Catt was never even accused of being involved with this.

After he was on the register, his attendance at other events and demos, including the Trades Union Conference in Brighton in 2006 and a pro-Gaza demonstration in Brighton in 2009.

He discovered these and other entries, 66 in total, after making a subject access request to the police under the Data Protection Act in March 2010.

In August that year, he asked the police to delete these entries, but his request was denied with no explanation.

He started a judicial review, and while that was ongoing the police cleaned up the extremist database and he was told his entries were reduced to two – although it was later revealed that six were kept.

The judicial hearing in 2012 found that the police were justified in keeping the database, but Mr Catt was given leave to appeal.

The Court of Appeal found in Mr Catt’s favour in 2014, saying the inclusion of his details in the database breached his rights to privacy under the European Convention on Human Rights.

But the police appealed to the Supreme Court, which found in their favour in 2015.

A further subject access request made by Mr Catt was refused later that year, with police saying the database needed to be kept confidential.

However, Mr Catt did not give up and took his case to the European Court of Human Rights, which today found in his favour.

The judges said: “The applicant, who had never been charged with any crime, nor accused of any violence, nor suspected of being directly involved in criminal activities undertaken by the group Smash EDO, and who had been assessed as not being a threat ended up having personal data relating to his participation in demonstrations and trade union events, and thus to his peaceful exercise of the rights protected under Articles 10-11 of the Convention, kept on police records in a searchable database for an indefinite period.

“Even the existence of the database in question was not clearly acknowledged until the domestic proceedings in this case.

“A subsequent review of matters relating to undercover police operations, prompted by allegations made by whistleblowers, also led to a review of the database on overtly obtained intelligence, resulting in the deletion of part of the data originally retained concerning the applicant.

“As pointed out by the applicant in his submissions, a system that must rely on whistleblowers, litigation and press disclosure to ensure proper conduct is not adequate in terms of protections against abuse or arbitrariness.”

Mr Catt’s lawyer Shamik Dutta tweeted today: “After an eight year legal battle against the police, Home Office and finally UK government, John Catt wins in his domestic extremism database challenge.

“This judgement is a timely reminder of the importance of the European Convention on Human Rights in protecting privacy and the right to protest in the UK and across Europe.

“This ruling sets an important precedent that it is unlawful for governments across Europe to label citizens engaged in peaceful protest domestic extremists and put them on a database for a potentially indefinite period.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Bob says:
    8 years ago

    Congratulations to John Catt.

    Some corrections to your article.

    “the EDO factory in Moulsecoomb which allegedly manufactured widgets used by Israeli bombers,”

    The ‘allegation’ was backed up with solid evidence and was accepted by a jury in Hove Crown Court in 2010.

    In court EDO admitted ownership of the main bomb rack of the the Israeli F-16 that has been used to bomb Gaza and the West Bank. EDO are currently manufacturing weapons system components for the Israeli F-35. Both these systems are certified to carry nuclear weapons.

    ‘Widgets’ is hardly the right word.

    Protests “often turned to violence” should read, protests were often provoked into clashes when Sussex Police decided to try and stop them, in the first instance supporting EDO in the high court with a fabricated harassment injunction that was eventually thrown out for lack of evidence and abuse of the legal process. Then a series of evermore draconian controls of the right to protest against war crimes.

    When the police tried stopped arresting and beating up people, things calmed down quite a bit.

    Reply
  2. Jo says:
    8 years ago

    War the never ending grinding
    Machine
    When will we ever learn???.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Peaceful protester wins 8-year battle to have details removed from extremist database

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Load More
January 2019
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News