• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Police drop objection to street bars at Kemp Town Carnival

by Frank le Duc
Monday 25 Mar, 2019 at 7:18PM
A A
0
Kemp Town Carnival faces opposition to street bars proposal

An offer to beef up security at all the entrances to the Kemp Town Carnival persuaded Sussex Police to drop its opposition to street bars at the event.

The organisers will post security staff at all of the carnival’s entry points from Upper Rock Gardens to Eaton Place in Kemp Town.

Originally, police were concerned about allowing six or seven street bars at the event on Saturday 1 June as it has a much larger footprint than the fenced off and ticketed Pride Village Party.

A Brighton and Hove City Council licensing panel, formed of councillors Mo Marsh, Lizzie Deane and Julie Cattell, heard from organisers that security staff would be deployed in three zones, with static and moving teams.

Alcohol would be on sale from 11am until 6pm if the event is granted a licence.

Ian Baird, safety adviser to the event, said that creating zones and moving teams would mean that no area would be left without security if an incident occurred.

One of the priorities would be to make sure that the bars were not selling alcohol to under-18s by proxy, with security keeping an eye on where the alcohol was going.

Mr Baird said: “What we do see more of is Dad thinking, ‘Oh, it’s all right. He’s 17. Get him a pint.’

“That is what we are stamping out. Security staff will be watching where drinks travel to from the bar.”

This year’s carnival builds upon the last event in 2016. It is in the same area but the Kemp Town Carnival Community Interest Company (CIC), made up of people from the area, said that this year’s plans will deal with all the issues faced last time.

Mr Baird said: “We have huge amounts of support from local residents, local businesses and the three churches.

“The overwhelming response we get is positive. We have worked very closely with people living in the area. We’ve gone back and forth to make sure we have taken people’s concerns into account.”

One of the objections from a resident concerned toilets. But he said that there would be toilets at regular intervals throughout the carnival area. Previously there were problems as scaffolding was installed at toilet sites.

An acoustic consultant has advised on better locations for bass-heavy sound systems and will be on site to deal with any noise issues on the day.

The after-carnival clean up has been organised by commissioning City Clean. Mr Baird told the licensing panel at Hove Town Hall that the organisers were proud to leave the area in a pristine condition.

He dismissed an objection that compared the carnival with the Pride Village Party in St James’s Street, saying that the carnival was not alcohol-led but funded by the Arts Council to support the arts.

He said: “This is a comparison we want to move away from. This event is created by the people of Kemp Town and for the people of Kemp Town in its most basic form.

“It is not something we impose upon Kemp Town. That is why the formation of the CIC over the last two years to really draw in much more communication with local residents has been key in our planning.

“We’re not coming from London looking for a bit of street to have a party on. In that respect we are very different from the Pride street party which is predominantly attended by people from outside of town.”

Councillor Lizzie Deane

Councillor Deane said: “I am mindful this is a family event with lots of children there in itself is a completely different atmosphere from Pride Village Party.

“I reminded of the White Night event which was non-alcohol led. It happened to coincide with the Hallowe’en night and the zombie walk and became such an alco-fest we had to stop the White Night.”

She was concerned other stalls might sell alcohol but was told only the seven licensed bars would be selling drinks, following all the rules of Challenge 25, not selling to anyone without ID who looks under 25, and keeping a refusal log.

Event director Matt Cook told the panel a wide variety of organisations are involved with the carnival, including samba groups, We Bop women’s choir, Street Funk Dance, the Hummingbird Project and Brighton Table Tennis Club.

He said: “We are very focused on it being a multi-generational event.

“We are very careful when programming the stages that all the entertainment is age-appropriate.”

The carnival is also in the process of sourcing reusable cups. The aim is for people to buy them or pay a deposit and return them.

A decision on whether a licence is granted is expected within five working days.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

Police drop objection to street bars at Kemp Town Carnival

Two men appear in court charged with murder in Brighton

Brighton woman charged after pro-Palestine protest in London

Care provider chosen to run council’s £6m new supported living scheme

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

Where should new homes be built in Brighton and Hove?

Controversial plaque commemorating slave owner removed

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Top 5 music performances during this year’s Official and Unofficial ‘Escapes’

Top 5 music performances during this year’s Official and Unofficial ‘Escapes’

18 May 2026
A Bank Holiday Weekend of Art, Music and Food  with Nabihah Iqbal: Imagined, Eternal

A Bank Holiday Weekend of Art, Music and Food with Nabihah Iqbal: Imagined, Eternal

18 May 2026
The Great Escape marks its 20th anniversary with triumphant celebration of new music

The Great Escape marks its 20th anniversary with triumphant celebration of new music

18 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton 22-23rd May 2026

Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

18 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
March 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
  • Prolific shoplifter jailed after she stole goods worth £2k 18 May 2026
  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News