• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Latest rough sleeper count suggests fewer on streets of Brighton and Hove

by Frank le Duc
Friday 16 Aug, 2019 at 7:38PM
A A
4
More money for Brighton’s rough sleepers

The number of rough sleepers on the streets of Brighton and Hove has halved, according to the latest figures.

An unofficial count in May found 43 people sleeping on the streets, compared with 91 in May last year.

The figure compares with 66 in March which was up on the 54 people found to be sleeping rough in March last year.

Brighton and Hove City Council said: “Every two months a street count is carried out in the city to capture a ‘single night snapshot’ of the number of people who are sleeping rough in the local area.

“The street count is always carried out at night to make sure those being included are sleeping out.

“The counts are used to increase understanding of the situation in the city and to help direct support where it’s most needed.

“The regular counts are separate to the official annual count that is required by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government each autumn.”

Homelessness campaigner Jim Deans was sceptical about the figures.

Mr Deans runs Sussex Homeless Support, which has two buses operating as night shelters.

He said: “We have had over 25 different faces through the buses in the last month, with a permanent 14 right now. Eight have been women – and we have three women currently.

“The council’s suggestion that more than half all rough sleepers in Brighton have spent a night on our buses is madness.”

The official rough sleeper count generated controversy last year after a change in the method resulted in a lower than expected number.

The official 2018 count found 64 people sleeping rough, compared with an estimate of 178 the year before.

Last year outreach workers and volunteers physically counted the number of people bedded down in the city after midnight on Wednesday 21 November.

The year before an estimate was compiled using information from a number of organisations with efforts made to ensure that any double counting was eliminated.

A rough sleeper, according the government’s definition, is someone sleeping, bedded down or about to bed down in the open air.

This can include someone on the street, in a tent, doorway, park, bus shelter or encampment.

It also includes someone in a building or other place not designed for habitation such as a stairwell, shed, car park or makeshift shelter known as a “bash”.

The official definition does not include someone sleeping in a vehicle.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Andy Mil says:
    7 years ago

    Nonsense, I have lived in Brighton for 9 years mow and it’s the worst that I’ve seen it. Homeless people and rough sleepers everywhere!!

    Reply
    • SD says:
      7 years ago

      Absolutely spot on, Andy. I wonder what the benefit is for the numbers to be so under reported? This is not a true reflection of the homeless crisis in Brighton and Hove.

      Reply
  2. Pam Jiggins says:
    7 years ago

    No one should have to sleep on the streets, Brighton is a very strong counci and for this to be happening in this day and age it doesn’t make sense, more police,on the streets would help and if they got missions,and other organisations involved it must be possible,its the only way .

    Reply
  3. Jon Horley says:
    7 years ago

    I have a cunning plan – why doesn’t the city, so keen to always appear to be right-on, convert the massive empty seafront erection, King’s House, into a life-recovering long or short stay hostel, complete with full staff accommodation, dining facilities, barber, and community facility? Plus a number of flats for rent at – gasp! – REALLY affordable, all-in prices? If l ever win enough on any lottery, that good luck will go towards ensuring no-one sleeps rough in B&H unless that’s their preference. Meanwhile, properties all over the city lie empty. . .

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Latest rough sleeper count suggests fewer on streets of Brighton and Hove

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
August 2019
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News