• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Government to be asked to help fund £300m revamp at Brighton Marina

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 19 Apr, 2016 at 12:00PM
A A
0
Government to be asked to help fund £300m revamp at Brighton Marina

The government is to be asked to support a £300 million revamp at Brighton Marina with up to £20 million of public money.

The scheme is expected to create 1,000 extra homes, replacement leisure and car parking facilities and hundreds of jobs.

The broad details already form part of the City Plan for Brighton and Hove which was signed off by the government earlier this year.

The new Marina scheme was discussed by the Greater Brighton Economic Board and included in its project pipeline this morning (Tuesday 19 April).

A report to the economic board described the project as the South Site, with developer Land Securities expected to put in most of the funding for the £300 million scheme.

But the site was described as being in the inner harbour at the western end of the Marina, close to where hundreds of homes are currently being built.

Nick Hibberd, from Brighton and Hove City Council, said the project would create an estimated 385 permanent jobs and a similar number of temporary jobs during the eight-year construction phase. A

Brighton Marina plans x

Mr Hibberd said: “It would require some local growth funding.

“It will help the city council deliver its housing requirement in the City Plan.

“Improving access in and out of Brighton Marina is a key consideration.”

He said that this was even more important with the plan to move Brighton’s conference centre to Black Rock.

“There are,” he said, “discussions between the various parties. It’s not easy. It’s quite a constrained area and the ramp’s quite a complicated structure but we’d be missing an opportunity if we didn’t explore the possibility of improving the access.”

Government funding for this sort of scheme came up in the budget last month when the Chancellor George Osborne announced £1.8 billion extra funding for “the growth deal”.

The growth deal is government funding to support housebuilding, training and job creation, and transport and technological infrastructure projects such as superfast broadband networks.

The money will be allocated to local projects by an organisation called Coast to Capital (C2C), the local enterprise partnership (LEP).

Fourteen LEPs across the country are being asked to bid competitively for the money, with a civil servant, Philip Carr, warning the board that not everyone would win.

The initial application for support will be made by the Greater Brighton Economic Board to C2C by Friday 29 April.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Café can become gym after plans approved

School building to become temporary charity hub

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Government to be asked to help fund £300m revamp at Brighton Marina

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Hove man given ‘slavery and trafficking risk order’

Drinks licence granted for site just south of St Peter’s Church

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
April 2016
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News