• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton Thameslink passengers offered reassurance

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 27 May, 2010 at 5:48PM
A A
0

Rail officials have reassured Thameslink passengers that the Government has not scrapped a promise to buy new trains for the route.

Fears were raised by a report today on the BBC Radio 4 programme You And Yours.

Listeners were told that the Department for Transport (DfT) had said that it wouldn’t be going ahead with the purchase of high-speed trains for Thameslink because passenger numbers had not gone up as expected.

But the DfT said that, while the Government was reviewing all transport policies, no decision had been made.

A spokesman said that on Monday the Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition Government had announced cuts relating to the procurement of new rolling stock but that these cuts did not affect Thameslink.

The order is expected to be worth more than £1 billion. The outgoing Labour Government had been expected to announce a deal by the end of this year.

The route, operated by First Capital Connect, is used by 78,000 passengers a day, many of them travelling to and from Brighton and Hove. Brighton Station alone is used by about 40,000 passengers a day.

The Thameslink programme is a £5.5 billion scheme to increase capacity on the Central London stretch of the route.

This involves extending platforms to allow longer trains – 12 carriages long – as well as a more frequent service. It also involves upgrading the line in the centre of London.

The aim was to complete much of the work in time for the 2012 Olympics.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

New bus route to start next month

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Brighton Thameslink passengers offered reassurance

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone

Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone vs direction

23 May 2026
We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

23 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton Fringe, May 22&23rd 2026

Review: Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
May 2010
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News