• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Boy foils kidnap attempt in Hove street

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 2 Aug, 2011 at 10:07PM
A A
0

A boy is reported to have fought off a man who tried to kidnap him in a Hove street.

Sussex Police praised the 14-year-old, from Hangleton, for doing the right thing.

The man is said to have grabbed the boy but the boy used his tennis racquet to repeatedly hit the stranger until he let go.

The attempted abduction is said to have happened in Nevill Avenue, at the Hangleton Road end, near the Grenadier pub and shops.

Sussex Police said: “Officers were called to Nevill Avenue at about 3.15pm on Friday 29 July after a report of an attempt to abduct a 14-year-old local boy.

“While walking along the boy had been approached by a man driving a car who asked the boy if he wanted a lift.

“He refused and the man is reported to have made a grab for him from within the car.

“But the boy managed to get away from the offender who then drove away in the direction of the Grenadier pub in what is described as a gun-metal grey medium-sized car with tinted windows.”

The boy was walking towards Hove Park for a tennis lesson at the time of the incident.

When he reached the tennis courts there he called the police.

The driver is said to have driven past the boy, turned his car round and mounted the kerb before asking whether he wanted a lift.

After the boy fought him off, the driver did a u-turn and drove off towards the Grenadier pub.

Aware

A CCTV camera in Hangleton Road is positioned close to the junction with Nevill Avenue and officers are expected to be checking it for clues about the driver and his car.

Sussex Police did not link the incident to other recently reported incidents in Brighton and Hove although a connection has not been ruled out.

A spokesman said that parents and children be aware of possible approaches by strangers.

He added: “The boy reacted by doing the right thing.

“Our advice is to raise the alarm as soon as possible by contacting a responsible adult.

“Parents and public should not confront anyone themselves but they should try to obtain as much detail as possible including the registration number of any car and a description of the person.

“In recent weeks increased media coverage and visits to schools by police officers to talk about stranger danger has seen an increase in reports of this nature from extra-vigilant children and parents who have been phoning police with good intent to report potentially suspicious incidents.

“The majority of these calls have been found to have an innocent explanation but we look at every report in detail and further investigate those that are considered to be suspicious.

“With the start of the summer holidays, police are also carrying out patrols in areas where children are likely to gather as part of our usual summer holiday neighbourhood policing activities.”

Any witnesses or anyone with information is urged to contact Sussex Police on 0845 6070999.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Boy foils kidnap attempt in Hove street

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

by Edward Elliot - PA
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 4 Aston Villa 0 Jack Hinshelwood struck twice in two first-half minutes as a rampant Brighton...

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Load More
August 2011
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News