Fire crew tackles Brighton chimney blaze

Posted On 22 Oct 2012 at 3:55 pm

A firefighter has urged people to take more care of their chimneys after one caught fire in Brighton yesterday.

A crew from Preston Circus spent just over half an hour tackling the chimney fire in Cranbourne Street, just off Churchill Square, Brighton.

They were called out shortly before 2pm yesterday (Sunday 21 October).

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service dealt with another chimney fire in Eastbourne later having been called out to three similar blazes on the previous Sunday (14 October).

Council repairs

Steve Wright, community safety manager, said: “Chimney fires are a common cause of fire in dwellings and can cause widespread damage.

“An open fire is an ideal way to keep warm this winter but without proper maintenance a chimney can become dangerous.

“In the last two years alone we have attended 420 incidents involving chimney fires.”

He said that Sundays were the most common day for a chimney fire and 7pm the most common time.

More than a third of chimney fires, or 143, were in homes with a single occupant. Bungalows accounted for just 13. None led to loss of life.

He also urged people to use the services of a professional chimney sweep at least once a year to clear soot and other obstructions.

And he added: “Make sure your smoke alarm is working properly. Early detection can save lives.”

 

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.