• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Brighton war veteran wins legal battle with police

by Frank le Duc
Friday 15 Mar, 2013 at 5:31PM
A A
0

A Brighton war veteran has won a legal battle to force police to remove all references to him from a national database.

Three of Britain’s most senior judges found in favour of John Catt, 88, of Shepherds Croft, Withdean, at the Court of Appeal yesterday (Thursday 14 March). The judgment can be read in full here.

Mr Catt brought his case against Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe and ACPO (the Association of Chief Police Officers).

The court was told that Mr Catt had been included in a database of political extremists after going on demonstrations in Brighton in support of Smash EDO.

He had been subject to surveillance by the state for ten years and information about him was gathered and kept by the National Public Order Intelligence Unit.

The judges found that the conduct of the police involved “a significant interference” with Mr Catt’s right to respect for his private life.

John Catt

He said after the ruling: “I hope this judgment will bring an end to the abusive and intimidatory monitoring of peaceful protestors by police forces nationwide.

“Police surveillance of this kind only serves to undermine our democracy and deter lawful protest.”

The Court of Appeal judges said: “There is nothing to suggest that (Mr Catt) actively encourages criminality or public disorder, much less that he has engaged in behaviour of that kind himself.

“The systematic collection, processing and retention on a searchable database of personal information, even of a relatively routine kind, involves a significant interference with the right to respect for private life.

“It is striking that (Adrian Tudway, the National Co-ordinator for Domestic Extremism) does not say that the information held on Mr Catt over many years has in fact been of any assistance to the police at all.”

They also said: “John Catt over a long lifetime has been an ardent and frequent protestor against what he sees as a variety of forms of injustice.

“During that time he has attended many public demonstrations, most recently those organised by a group calling itself Smash EDO which campaigns against the operations on the outskirts of Brighton of a commercial manufacturer of weapons, EDO Defence Systems.

“Some of the core supporters of Smash EDO are prone to violence and criminal behaviour but it is accepted that Mr Catt has not been convicted of criminal conduct of any kind in connection with any demonstrations that he has attended.

“He seeks an order requiring the police to remove all references to him from the national database which contains reports on the activities of various protest groups including Smash EDO.

“Mr Catt’s complaints are that his personal information has been placed for an indefinite period on a database whose title suggests that he is an extremist who actively associates with people who have a propensity to commit crime and cause disorder despite the fact that he has never been convicted of such behaviour.

“Moreover, he says the rules, such as they are, governing the maintenance and operation of the database, do not make it clear what criteria are adopted for deciding whose details are to be included or when and under what circumstances they are to be removed.

A photograph of Mr Catt taken in 2007 was removed in July 2010 on the grounds that it was unnecessary to retain it but it is said that the other information about him will be retained indefinitely.

“Why that should be necessary when it is unnecessary to retain his photograph has not been satisfactorily explained.

“We do not doubt the importance to modern policing of detailed intelligence gathering and we accept the need for caution before overriding the judgment of the police themselves about what information is likely to assist them in their task.

“For present purposes that task is to obtain a better understanding of how Smash EDO is organised, to be in a position to forecast the place and nature of its next protest and to anticipate the number of people likely to attend and the tactics they are likely to adopt.

“It is not easy to understand how the information currently held on Mr Catt can provide any assistance in relation to any of those matters.”

Mr Catt’s solicitor Shamik Dutta, of Bhatt Murphy, said: “This judgment exposes the widespread and sinister nature of police surveillance of ordinary members of the public in this country.

“It also acts as a safeguard against the creeping criminalisation of peaceful protest.”

Mr Dutta added: “The Association of Chief Police Officers and the Metropolitan Police Commissioner have sanctioned this unlawful conduct for almost a decade and must be made accountable.”

Bhatt Murphy said: “There was astonishment in court when lawyers acting on behalf of the Commissioner and ACPO argued that if Mr Catt had wished to avoid his details being captured by the police he could have ‘covered his face’ while protesting.”

The case was heard in the Court of Appeal in London on Tuesday 29 and Wednesday 30 January after Mr Catt was defeated in the High Court.

The three judges who found in his favour yesterday included the Master of the Rolls, John Dyson, the second most senior judge in Britain.

Lord Dyson was sitting with Lord Justice Martin Moore-Bick and Lord Justice Richard McCombe.

The case included interventions on behalf of the Equalities and Human Rights Commission and the National Council for Civil Liberties (Liberty), both supporting Mr Catt’s case.

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Brighton war veteran wins legal battle with police

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
March 2013
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News