• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton and Hove Greens warn of job cuts and protests as draft budget is announced

by Frank le Duc
Friday 28 Nov, 2014 at 10:26AM
A A
1

Job cuts and protests are likely as Brighton and Hove City Council wrestles with a £70 million funding shortfall, the Greens said yesterday (Thursday 27 November).

The ruling party also confirmed that it would be seeking a 5.9 per cent council tax rise to help maintain crucial services.

It said that people were more likely to feel the effects of the funding gap this year, adding: This time, sadly, the government cuts will hurt.”

The council’s draft budget for 2015-16 is due to be published at lunchtime today (Friday 28 November).

Councillor Ollie Sykes, the Greens’ lead member for finance, said: “The bulk of the council’s general fund money each year comes from central government.

“And over the past four years the coalition government has cut its funding to us by a frightening 32 per cent in cash terms.

Councillor Ollie Sykes
Councillor Ollie Sykes

“After taking into account inflation and increasing demand, this means we have £70 million less this year, for services, than when we came into office.

“And with council tax held down below inflation, which means it has fallen by 12 per cent in real terms, the rest of the council’s income cannot even begin to make up the shortfall.

Cut hardest

“Other councils have also been cut, though historically Brighton and Hove has been cut hardest in the south east.

“And other councils are not coping. Many have closed essential services, from libraries to welfare services, and the National Audit Office last week reported that more than half of councils in England are at of risk financial failure within the next five years.

“This week, Newcastle has warned of ‘impossible cuts leading to social unrest’.”

Councillor Sykes said: “Until now, Brighton and Hove has escaped what other cities are suffering. This Green administration has ensured that only a very small fraction of those cuts have so far been passed on to the front line of council services.

“We’ve done it by getting the basics right, managing resources, rooting out inefficiency, greening the council’s building stock, and with great support and hard work from council staff.

“We’ve kept all libraries and children’s centres open, imposed no compulsory redundancies on council employees, continued a fair proportion of financial support for the third sector and even increased spending for the city’s most vulnerable.

“We’ve also brought in unprecedented external funding for city improvements, such as The Level and the Seven Dials.

“This year is different. The government cuts are so huge and there’s nothing left to squeeze.

Protests

“It means that business will no longer be as usual. Unlike the past, some council services will have to shrink or go.

“There will be redundancies and there will be protests against those redundancies.

“This is what coalition government cuts are now about to do to our city.”

He added: “This is not a budget we’re proud to see before us. But we can’t print money or ask officers to spend what we don’t have.

“Despite everything, though, we are doing what we can as a minority administration.

“Over the coming weeks, we will be calling on the government to reinstate our full grant and examining all possible ways to put the pressure on.

“We hope our Labour and Conservative colleagues will join us, for the sake of the city.

Immoral

“What the coalition is doing to our most vulnerable residents and our communities is frankly immoral.

“We are asking the city to approve our proposals for a general 5.9 per cent rise in council tax.

“This will not solve the problem but it will raise more than £4 million to help maintain crucial services and to avoid raising taxes by a much higher amount for the most hard-up people in the city.

“And we are making a series of pledges to keep open such core council services as libraries, children’s centres and public toilets, to protect the city’s most vulnerable from the worst of the cuts and not to introduce anything that will contribute to the further transfer of wealth from the least well off to the wealthiest in this country.”

Last year the Greens proposed a council tax rise of 4.75 per cent but this was rejected by the Conservatives and Labour.

The Conservatives wanted a council tax freeze and Labour proposed a 1.99 per cent rise – just below the threshold that would trigger a local referendum. Council tax went up 1.99 per cent.

The Green proposal for a bigger rise this year stands little chance of being accepted.

The council is due to set its budget and council tax on Thursday 26 February for the financial year starting in April.

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Rostrum says:
    12 years ago

    The council needs concentrate on increasing its revenue by attracting business to the city.

    Every business that employs local people and is housed in local buildings increases the ‘take’ of the council.

    At this time it gets a lot of negative press coverage, much of if warranted – some of it not.

    It must be seen a ‘pro-business’ and ‘pro-growth’ and less as anti any change that does not fit its Green ethos.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Brighton and Hove Greens warn of job cuts and protests as draft budget is announced

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
November 2014
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News