• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Brighton RNLI lifeboat crew rescue another drunk from the drink

by Frank le Duc
Saturday 4 Jul, 2015 at 12:16PM
A A
1
Man dies after jumping into the sea from Palace Pier in Brighton

The RNLI Brighton lifeboat crew have rescued a man who went into the sea after he had been drinking early this morning (Saturday 4 July).

He went in to the water fully clothed and refused to come out so – at 5.45am – Sussex Police called for help from the coastguard.

The Brighton lifeboat crew have been called out four times in the past month to fish men out of the water when they’ve gone in the drink in drink.

The latest rescue prompted one crew member to say: “Think before entering the sea.”

The RNLI volunteers of Brighton were called out after the man was spotted near the Palace Pier.

RNLI Brighton“With the man’s health deteriorating due to a mixture of alcohol and cold water shock the helm decided to beach the Atlantic 85 to allow the crew from South East Coast Ambulance Service provide the medical attention the man required.

Crew member Jade Cohen said: “The crew were paged this morning at 5.45am after receiving a call from Sussex Police informing coastguard that a male had entered the water fully clothed and refusing to come out.

“Once on scene and gaining the man’s trust the gentleman was brought on to Brighton lifeboat where a full medical assessment was carried out.

“The gentleman was then taken off to Royal Sussex County Hospital for further medical assistance.”

“This is our fourth shout in a month to an intoxicated male. We are urging all party-goers not to go in the sea after a night out as can be very dangerous.

“Today the gentleman was very lucky with the quick response from Sussex Police, Brighton Seafront Office, Shoreham Coastguard and the crew from the lifeboat.”

The RNLI is currently running its annual Respect the Water campaign. It aims to educate people about the potential dangers of entering the sea without checking conditions, without proper equipment and precautions or while under the influence of alcohol.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. jackie dann says:
    11 years ago

    When will people ever learn

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton RNLI lifeboat crew rescue another drunk from the drink

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Firefighters urge people to avoid dangerous aerosol trend

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Load More
July 2015
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News