Brighton Wahaca was closed on Sunday and Monday this week after six people became ill with norovirus in an outbreak which has affected hundreds of people at branches across the country.
Public Health England is investigating after more than 300 people fell ill in nine branches of the Mexican chain across Brighton, Manchester, Cardiff and London. The Brighton branch has reopened today, but four more remain closed.
— Abi Cooper (@ThRealAbiCooper) October 31, 2016
Wahaca has apologised to those affected, saying it contacted Public Health England as soon as the scale of the outbreak became clear.
Founders Thomasina Miers and Mark Selby said in a statement: “Last week a number of our staff and customers were struck down by what is suspected to be the winter vomiting bug, norovirus.
“We assessed each case and when it became clear they were not isolated incidents, we got in touch with relevant officials at PHE and Environmental Health Officers.”
The company said it carried out specialist deep cleaning of all sites, whether affected or not, and continue to monitor the issue closely in order to ensure it is contained and resolved.
Deborah Turbitt, London deputy director for health protection for Public Health England, said: “Public Health England has been notified of a suspected norovirus outbreak at a restaurant chain. We are working closely with environmental health officers and the restaurant chain to investigate.
“We have so far been made aware of 205 staff and 160 members of the public reporting illness, however these are unconfirmed cases. Currently, the source of the outbreak is not confirmed and this remains under investigation.
“Norovirus can be very unpleasant but is rarely serious. Most people make a full recovery within one or two days, without treatment. It is important that people with diarrhoea and vomiting drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration.”