• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Objectors pack planning appeal in Brighton to oppose retirement home plan in flood-prone street

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 13 Jun, 2017 at 2:32PM
A A
1
Objectors pack planning appeal in Brighton to oppose retirement home plan in flood-prone street

The council chamber at Brighton Town Hall

Almost a hundred objectors packed a planning appeal hearing in Brighton this morning in a battle to stop a retirement home being built on a flooding hot spot.

A barrister for McCarthy and Stone, the retirement home business, urged a planning inspector to back its plans to demolish five houses and build 44 flats in Patcham village.

The council chamber at Brighton Town Hall during the opening of McCarthy and Stone’s planning appeal

About 20 people, mostly people living in the flood-prone part of Patcham village, gave notice that they wanted to speak during the appeal.

Robert Walton, for McCarthy and Stone’s subsidiary business YourLife Management Services, told planning inspector Katie Child that Brighton and Hove City Council’s objections to the scheme were “misconceived”.

At one point neighbours groaned as Mr Walton described the site – in Old London Road – as a relatively ordinary suburban area.

He told the inspector, sitting in the packed council chamber at Brighton Town Hall, that the council objected to the plans because of the flood risk and the design. Other objections had been resolved.

Although Old London Road has flooded in the past, Mr Walton said: “There is no evidence that the existing buildings have flooded or that the appeal site is at high risk of groundwater flooding.

“The appellant has designed the building so that ground floor levels will be higher than the existing situation and above the level of all previous flood levels.”

He said that there was no policy requirement that a development should be risk-free – and in any case the plans included a surface water drainage scheme.

“There would be a detailed flood risk management plan,” Mr Walton said, adding: “The council has put forward a number of conditions to counter these concerns.”

He said that the council had never sought to undertake a balancing exercise of the benefits and the harms which was critical if it was to strike a proper balance.

“The council’s view is that the scheme causes some harm and therefore should be refused,” he said.

“The council’s residual objections (about the design of the proposed building) are misconceived and do not come close to justifying the refusal of planning permission.”

Councillor Geoffrey Theobald spoke briefly at the opening of McCarthy and Stone’s planning appeal 20170613

Hilary Woodward, the council’s senior planning solicitor, said that the council’s objections related to the design and the flood risk.

Mrs Woodward highlighted “the vulnerability of the future occupants of the development” in relation to the flood risk.

She said: “The council’s reasons for refusal on grounds of noise disturbance and lack of (financial) contributions have been overcome.”

A revised landscaping scheme had also been submitted by McCarthy and Stone, she said, which overcomes objections to the proposed loss of trees and level of replacement planting.

Mrs Woodward said that the scheme provided for assisted living or extra care and added: “There is an identified shortfall in extra care housing provision in the city and, indeed, one of the council’s visions is the provision of extra care housing to meet the needs of older and disabled people in the community.

“So it is not part of the council’s case at this inquiry that the city has no need for the type of accommodation being proposed by the appellant (McCarthy and Stone).

“The first reason for refusal is on the ground of flooding.

“Patcham has a significant history of flooding and this is likely to reoccur.

Some of the people in Patcham who oppose plans by McCarthy and Stone to demolish five homes and build a retirement complex

“This development is for older persons and the council does not agree that it is appropriate to add older vulnerable people to such an area – and we are told that the average age of residents on first occupation would be early eighties.

“The council does not believe that the appellant has adequately taken flood risk into account in submitting its application, neither that the mitigation measures proposed, including the drainage system, are appropriate.

“The applicant’s flood risk assessment does not show how flood risk to third parties would not be increased or show how flood risk would be reduced overall.

“The appeal scheme is unacceptable in terms of design … in terms of scale, density, massing, width. The roof is contrived and uncharacteristic of the locality.

“As such the appeal proposal detracts from the character and appearance of the street scene and the locality.

“Despite the acknowledge need for the type of accommodation proposed by the appeal scheme, Patcham is not the right location for such use and this is not an appropriate design.”

The scheme – in Old London Road in Patcham – involves knocking down five family homes and putting up a three-storey building containing 44 retirement flats.

The appeal is expected to continue tomorrow (Wednesday 14 June) and end on Thursday.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Chris says:
    8 years ago

    Flooding may be the issue but more worrying is the drastic fall in re-sale prices on McCarthy & Stone built retirement flats. One development built in Folkestone in 2006 has lost over £750,000 on re-sale values from new. They build under feudal leasehold tenure with most of their older developments freeholds sold off to speculator investors (Fairhold – Vincent Tchenguiz) who engage in charging onerous ground rents, equal to those found in some Mayfair flats! Services charges always seem on an upward spiral in what is an unregulated market, holding significant sums of leaseholders money.
    I suggest seriously considering buying one of these flats unless you want be be lightened of serious amounts of cash. Quite often the relatives are left paying all the charges if the parent is deceased and the flats are notorious for taking time to sell.
    Be warned.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Objectors pack planning appeal in Brighton to oppose retirement home plan in flood-prone street

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Grieving parents concerned as maternity services told to improve again

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
June 2017
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News