More than 400 businesses – and counting – have pledged prizes for a raffle to raise money for the Madeira Terraces.
The raffle, organised by Brighton mother and daughter team Jax Atkins and Rebecca Bunker, together with Derek Wright, is designed to sit alongside the city council’s main fundraiser.
Some of the 447 prizes include two nights at The Old Ship Hotel, £100 at Riddle and Finns – and one former Brighton resident, Gwen Healey, has offered two nights bed and breakfast at her North Carolina home, and is trying to organise free flights to go with them.
And with tickets flying off the shelves of the scores of venues they are available at, the trio say they hope to raise £20,000 to help repair the delapidated Victorian terraces.
And people are also invited to lend more practical help during the latest in a series of volunteer clean-ups of the terraces next Sunday, November 18 from 10am to 1pm, meeting at the Concorde.
Mrs Atkins said: “I was born here in Portland Place right opposite the lift and the terraces have always been part of my life. They are part of Brighton.
“They are beautiful and I love going up and down them, sunbathing on them, reading a book or having a drink.
“The marathon and the Speed Trials all come here – all the events end up here.
“Once the crowdfunding started, that was good but then nothing much seemed to happen, there wasn’t a lot of publicity about it, so nobody knew about it.
“The three of us got together and decided that we would do a raffle, raise a bit of money and get the community more involved, because the grants are more likely to be given if the community is involved.
“At the beginning, we had to go out to businesses to ask for prizes, but now people are coming to us.
“Council leader Warren Morgan has taken a lot of tickets and has been selling them at the council offices. He has been really supportive.”
The final draw will be held on Friday, November 24 from 5pm to 8pm at The Cricketers in Black Lion Street.
Raffle tickets, which cost £1 each, can be bought from the outlets below; by bank transfer (sort code 071040, account number 70849547, email email@example.com once transfer is made); or by Paypal using the email address firstname.lastname@example.org and emailing Jax Atkins at the same address once the transfer is made. If buying electronically, the minimum order is five tickets for £5.
- Pelotas Toy & Circus Shop, Open Market, London Road
- The Mad Hatter Inn, Rock Street
- Twos Company, St Georges Road
- Divas Expresso & Sandwich Bar, St James’s Street
- Pack of Cards, Arundel Road,
- The Bristol Bar, Paston Place
- Zona Rosa, Cocina Mexicana Bar, College Place
- Eva Ohsoswedish, Lower Parade by the Pier
- Art Shop & Pottery, 108 Western Road, Hove
- Brighton Rocks, 6 Rock Place
- Electric Bike Sussex, 35 Waterfront, Brighton Marina
- Woodbox Pizzeria, Paston Place
- Alex Bailey Gallery, Kings Road Arches
- RedBrightonBlue B&B, 7 Charlotte Street
- The Geese, 16 Southover Street
- The Village, 129 Islingword Rd
- Zorian, 246 King’s Road Arches
- Laughing Dog Cafe & Gallery, 31 Waterfront, Brighton Marina
- The Kiosk, 240 Eastern Road
- Cup of Joe, 28 St Georges Road
- Beretun Designs, 23 Bond Street
- A New You, 78 Trafalgar Street
- Quirk Cards, 4 Church Place, Brighton
- New Steine Hotel, 10 –11 New Steine
- Nick Ford Photography, 19 Oxford Street
- The Avenue Tearooms, 59 Longridge Avenue, Saltdean
- HR Hardware, 69 Longridge Avenue, Saltdean
- Audrey’s Chocolates, 28 Holland Rd, Hove
- The Cricketers, Black Lion Street
- The Colonnade, New Road
- The Long Man of Wilmington, Carden Hill
- The Ladies Mile, Mackie Avenue
- The Plough Inn, Vicarage Lane Rottingdean
- Hove Place, 37 First Avenue,
- Legends Hotel, 31-34 Marine Parade
- Marc Scott Beauty Salon, 84 St James’s St
- Egg & Spoon, 107-108 St George’s Road
- She Said Boutique, 32 Ship St
- William Morris Antique Cafe, 115 St George’s Rd
- Wigwam Toys, 140 Preston Drove Brighton
- Java Community Cafe, 23 Warren Way, Woodingdean
- Cad-Eau Arches, 44-45 Kings Road
- Videostar, 229 Queen’s Park Road
LIKE WHAT WE DO? HELP US TO DO MORE OF IT BY DONATING HERE.