• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Housing

Seafront flats plan will leave bedroom of Hove house ‘floating in mid air’

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 19 Jun, 2018 at 11:52AM
A A
0
Seafront flats plan will leave bedroom of Hove house ‘floating in mid air’

Wayne Coley in front of the divide between the two houses

Wayne Coley in front of the divide between the two houses

The quirky design of a Hove house means that if plans to demolish the adjoining building to make way for a new block of flats goes ahead, its first floor could be left “floating” in mid air.

Wayne Coley and husband Olly Carter were surprised when they discovered the odd way their 1926 house in Kingsway had been designed when they modernised it four years ago.

But surprise turned to horror this year when they discovered the house next door is set to go as part of Agenda Homes’ plans build an eight-storey block of 39 flats on the corner of Braemore Road and Kingsway – which will leave their first floor floating without support.

After moving in four years ago, Mr Coley and Mr Carter have modernised the 1926 Arts and Crafts style house, turning it into their dream home.

The houses’ rear bedrooms which support each other with a void underneath

During the renovation Mr Coley went to The Keep to look up the original plans. He discovered the rear first-floor bedroom had no support between the two houses.

The floating first floor design was a late addition to the build to extend the rooms in both houses, and there is just a void underneath them.

Mr Coley said: “We completely renovated the house from top to bottom. This was when I found the steels floating between the two buildings.”

This is the only point where the two buildings touch.

Demolishing the house next door would leave part of the bedroom floating in mid-air with no support or wall as there is just a thin partition between the two houses there.

He said: “When these houses were built there was no insulation. You can hear everything.”

The couple were also shocked to find the new block of flats would stick out beyond the front of their home.

Mr Coley said: “The balconies wrap around the building, so people will be looking into our home.

“We paid a premium for this beautiful 180° view. Now we’ll have an eight-storey block of flats sticking out the front with people looking in at us.

“This is our forever home. We were happy as long as there was no impact on our building.”

Mr Carter said: “They would need to build a new external wall and gift it to us, with all the legal implications that involves.

“They said they would write a letter of comfort. This is supposed to detail what they will do and their intentions when it comes to supporting the wall.”

The couple understand why the flats are being built, as until the developer bought the three houses which are set to make way for the new block, just four people lived in them.

Now two are used as Airbnbs for up to 20 people until the development goes ahead.

An artist’s impression of the proposed block of flats

Developer Agenda Homes said that it had carried out extensive consultations before submitting plans, and the its founder and CEO Jamie Barratt had spoken with the couple and said that they had nothing to worry about.

He said: “I have spoken with Wayne and Olly and understand it is a big concern. But in terms of the project, it is a detail.

“We do give attention to these details. If you don’t work with building regulations then you’ll find yourself not operating.”

Mr Barratt said that the building would be intact and any work would be carried out in a way that caused minimal disturbance.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Seafront flats plan will leave bedroom of Hove house ‘floating in mid air’

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Grieving parents concerned as maternity services told to improve again

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
June 2018
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News