• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Labour starts Brighton and Hove local elections candidate selections today

by Frank le Duc
Monday 9 Jul, 2018 at 1:13PM
A A
5
Members prepare to do battle for the Labour Party’s soul in Brighton and Hove

Labour is due to start shortlisting people today (Monday 9 July) to become the party’s candidates in the local elections in Brighton and Hove next May.

The process has the potential to cause upsets, not least because a member of Momentum, an organisation set up by supporters of Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, has circulated a list of preferred candidates.

Councillor Nancy Platts

And the list contains the name of only one sitting Labour councillor – Nancy Platts, who won her East Brighton seat in a by-election earlier this year and who used to work in Mr Corbyn’s office.

One former councillor also makes the list – Anne Pissaridou, who represented Wish ward from 2011 to 2015.

In all it contains 38 names – just over a third of them women – in the contest for the 54 seats on Brighton and Hove City Council.

Labour won 23 seats at the last elections in 2015 to become the largest party on the council but five seats short of a majority.

Since then Michael Inkpin-Leissner has switched to being an independent, citing concerns over anti-semitism within the Labour Party.

Another Labour councillor, Maggie Barradell, stood down to care for her elderly mother. Her successor, Lloyd Russell-Moyle, has since become the MP for Brighton Kemptown. His seat on the council was taken by Nancy Platts.

Nine of the 22 sitting Labour councillors have said that they are standing down next May. They are

  • Kevin Allen
  • Karen Barford
  • Tom Bewick
  • Penny Gilbey
  • Saiorse Horan
  • Mo Marsh
  • Gill Mitchell
  • Warren Morgan
  • Caroline Penn

Their successors – and Labour’s full slate of candidates – are due to be chosen over a series of up to 42 meetings (up to two meetings for each of the 21 wards) in the coming six weeks or so.

The two-stage process starts with a shortlisting meeting followed, if necessary, by a final selection meeting about a fortnight later.

Branch members will choose the candidates from applicants from among the 75 names on a list approved by the party’s Local Campaign Forum. The list contains 46 men and 29 women.

Just over half of those on the approved candidates list are also on the list shared by Momentum – 38 out of 75.

Jeremy Corbyn

One Labour member said: “You’d like to think the party’s pitch would be, ‘we’ve done a good job for the last four years so give us a majority.’

“No one has a divine right to stand, but if we put up hardly any of our councillors as candidates, it’s really going to undermine that message.”

Another said that there seemed to be an assumption that if someone hadn’t joined Momentum, they were anti-Corbyn. But many councillors had loyally supported the party through thick and thin under various leaders locally and nationally, including Mr Corbyn, and that a political party should be “a broad church”.

Despite two leadership election victories, Mr Corbyn remains a divisive figure within his party. His critics believe, among other things, that he is too far left on the left-right political spectrum – or too far from the centre – to win a general election.

But his supporters point to the general election last year when he defied expectations. While Labour didn’t win, it was the party’s best performance since 2005 and cost the Conservatives their parliamentary majority.

The local selections start tonight (Monday 9 July) with shortlisting meetings for candidates in two wards – South Portslade and Moulsecoomb and Bevendean.

Sitting councillors Les Hamilton and Alan Robins are hoping to be reselected in South Portslade.

In Moulsecoomb and Bevendean, one of the sitting councillors, former mayor Mo Marsh, is retiring next May, Her ward colleagues, council leader Daniel Yates and Anne Meadows, who chairs the council’s Housing and New Homes Committee, are hoping to be chosen again.

The shortlisted candidates in each ward will go forward to a final selection meeting in a fortnight’s time.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 5

  1. Jean Smith says:
    8 years ago

    Labour seems to have done OK to me, like the Greens before them actually. Not perfect, but OK. They’d be mad to get rid of their remaining councillors though (or too many of them, anyway), especially as so many have already said they’re standing down.

    Reply
  2. karen young says:
    8 years ago

    What a sh#t hole Brighton looks….I mean would you holiday here? No new King Alfred, a mess made of selling Kings House, the seafront road in chaos again because the arches are collapsing, madeira terraces rusting away, they can’t even put a few flowers along the front. The planning department is a shambles, the roads are a disgrace, the parking is extortionate….the list is endless….but hey Labour has done good?

    Reply
  3. Jenny Mulligan says:
    8 years ago

    Well done to Cllrs Les Hamilton and Alan Robins on their selection via trigger ballot of South Portslade members this evening.

    Reply
  4. Noone says:
    8 years ago

    i wonder if you will pay so much close attention to detail when the tories and greens start their process? i doubt it. The deselection myth must continue to be propagated by the MSM!

    Reply
  5. MichaelInkpin-Leissner says:
    8 years ago

    May I just state again, I never joined another party, I voted with the group, i was elected for. I stood as German social democrat and was elected. My loyalty to the current Labour group still exists, despite Corbynites being bullying ( thats what they do) . I was loyal to Warren Morgan who has been an outstanding Leader. I support Dan Yates who is a very good man. Sadly in my ward nobody was selected for Labour who lives in Coldean. That was my argument to not for me. Now Coldan seems to be alone again within a year. Lets hope there are candidates from Coldean standing in other parties. I endorse Councillor Tracey Hill who did a fab job. I will not endorse any momentum slate member, as i want my adopted home city to do well.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Labour starts Brighton and Hove local elections candidate selections today

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
July 2018
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News